AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Scales

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

Looking at getting some scales. I've seen a set that go from 0.001g - 20g. Would these be ok for weighing in grains?

#2 dc1

dc1
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:34 PM

Make sure they weigh in grains (gn) as well.
Some of the cheapo ones dont

I use these 132037164851 (ebay number) as well as some cheaper ones. Got them lightly used tho

Edited by dc1, 10 September 2017 - 07:36 PM.

#3 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

Yes it says gn on the ad

#4 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 568 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

I've got these ones, they do the job.... http://www.ebay.co.u...iwAAOSwImRYPDnk

#5 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

They look like the ones I've seen on there

#6 robF

robF
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

they need to weigh in 0.001g increments, not just down to 0.001g, that's not the same thing

#7 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:19 AM

they need to weigh in 0.001g increments, not just down to 0.001g, that's not the same thing

Now you're just confusing the hell out of Holly, he can't keep up all this...:grin:

#8 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,594 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

​what they need to do is weigh the same pellet the same weight 3 times. That's the trick with getting good scales

#9 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

...And make sure you use fresh batteries and not the cheap ones that usually come with them...:rolleyes:

#10 NatS

NatS
  • 1,056 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Suffolk

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

I could just do them at work..

#11 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

I could just do them at work..

I'm sure your scales there could measure to the fraction of a grain...:grin:

#12 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

👍

#13 robF

robF
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:40 PM

Now you're just confusing the hell out of Holly, he can't keep up all this... :grin:

His scales need to weigh a lot more than 20g :D

#14 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:35 PM

Scales arrived. What spread would you say is exceptable? I'm getting 8.36 - 8.6 I'm keeping anything from 8.4 - 8.48 for comp use.

#15 robF

robF
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:47 PM

To be honest i rarely bother these days. Sizing made more of a difference than weight. And then I don't often do that now... because a good batch trumps all.

I'll go through it for something like the worlds maybe... cant do any harm and its a good way of inspecting pellets.

Edited by robF, 12 September 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#16 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:48 PM

I tried some weighed pellets on Sunday and it really made a difference,no flyers and more accurate. 5 shots on the chrono showed 1 fps variation

#17 robF

robF
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

I used to put mine in 0.1gn brackets. With a good batch that would straddle say 0.2gn and there'd be a small amount either side that i'd use for something or other uncritical. With a bad batch I could see a spread of 0.4gn with a few extremes. 

If it works it works. I'll never knock someone for trying to make their ammo more consistent. That said, if you're falling out the bottom of a kill or going out of the top, it aint that. 

Worth playing with a sizer as well if you're into pellet worrying... that did yield a lot in the Walther, but it Daystates didn't seem to like it, and the Steyr didn't seem to care.

But if you are going to test, face the enemy. Forget 5 shots. You can flip a coin 5x and get it the same way up. Do 10s, 20s, 40s. Get some data where chance is less of a factor, ideally indoors. Takes time to do this stuff well, it pays dividends... you either find you've struck gold, or find that you're just polishing dirt. It gets real fun when you double blind test someone. I used to make up bags of test pellets, each with a different set of pellets in, then write down what they were, get someone to take out the label and write a random letter on them, take the letter out. They knew which was which, I didn't. What i then picked was what I thought was best. That can be very interesting.

#18 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,293 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

I have thought about a sizer but like you say not all barrels appreciate the effort.

Edited by springboy, 12 September 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#19 holly

holly

holly

• 23,738 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

With the steyr i have seated the pellets every which way . not the slightest difference . that you can detect ??? HOLLY

#20 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

Scales arrived. What spread would you say is exceptable? I'm getting 8.36 - 8.6 I'm keeping anything from 8.4 - 8.48 for comp use.

I used to batch a tin, so go through and sort out all the pellets into piles going from say 7.9gr to 8.9gr. The vast majority would be in the 8.3 - 8.6 range, these I would put into individual tins so I'd have 8.4's, 8.5's etc then I'd only use that one weight until they were all gone, then go to the next batch weight until they were gone, etc. The ones either end i.e. the 7.9's and 8.9's would simply be binned. So out of a tin I'd probably get 400 that were useable in competition.

These days I just open a tin, stick in 6 drops of FP10, close it up, shoot them straight from the tin and have a life...:grin:

#21 azuaro

azuaro
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Shooting, Photography, Snow & Water Activities
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Flathead Lake, Montana

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:55 AM

I tried several models of those scales and unfortunately all of them gave me different weight for the same pellet very time....

The scale that most serious Benchrest Shooters use, at least here in the USA is the GemPro 250...Not a bargain but not expensive either and it is very reliable...This

scale can measure .01 grains (1/100th of a grain) but most shooters set it to measure .05 Grains; at 25 meters (BR. Distance) pellets within 1/10th of a grain will shoot identical

and .05 is half of that...Very possible this setting is what is required for FT to 50+ meters.

GemPro 250: https://www.ebay.com...ro 250&_sacat=0

Regards,

AZ

Edited by azuaro, 15 September 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#22 Eaton Rifles

Eaton Rifles
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

The only problem with weighing quality pellets these days is that they're so good it's pointless.

I have a very good set of scales that I use for powder measuring and taking say some AA Fields or Snipers, I can individually weigh out ten and they'll be within a fraction of a grain, then if I stick all ten on the scales it averages out perfectly.

I do this for a fresh tin just to make sure they're within tolerance, but as for sitting there weighing every one, no not these days.

But, I do size the pellets. I know there is a school of thought that the pellet is sized in the breech but I'd prefer to know that every pellet is the same size before it goes in the breech. By using a tapered sizer, it's obvious if you get a pellet that is much smaller than the rest and these I bin. All the others get sized, given a quick look to make sure there's no damage to the skirt, then lubed in the tin. Since I've been doing this I've not had one flyer or one pellet where I thought 'what happened there'. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users