AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hang time

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DTM

DTM
  • 145 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dyfed

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

How long do you find its best to hang your rabbit before cooking?

#2 hughgoldsmith

hughgoldsmith
  • 1,436 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

I don't hang them at all. Paunch and skin ASAP, they then either go in salted water over night if cooking the next day or straight in the freezer.

Hugh

#3 red19s

red19s
  • 608 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Stafford

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(hughgoldsmith @ Tue Apr 14 2009, 21:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't hang them at all. Paunch and skin ASAP, they then either go in salted water over night if cooking the next day or straight in the freezer.

Hugh

Snap, exactly the same smile.gif

#4 riggers2647

riggers2647
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Fishing and reading good factual and outdoor pursuit books.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Gloucestershire

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:26 PM

If you do not do something with the flesh asap it deteriorates quite rapidly. After around 2 days exposed to air, it starts to decompose, just ask my wife. I forgot one once,,, never again

#5 niteshooter2009

niteshooter2009
  • 205 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:north yorkshire

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

i gutt and skin them the same day dont want any nasty smells around the shed then put into freezer if i aint cooking them the same day

#6 Guest_Mikey Video_*

Guest_Mikey Video_*

Posted 22 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

After shooting a rabbit i paunched it within 60 mins. then skinned and quatered it and left it in the fridge over night. cooked it the next day. fried some of it for a pasta dish and made a sort of stuffed roll from the belly flap and loin.

The legs tasted fine but the loin and tender loin smelled a bit like the guts and tased the same. (not that i have tasted guts but you know what i mean)

Did this happen because it was in the fridge and not the freezer or did i do something else wrong. Was it not paunched quickly enough.

Also as an aside. do you bother hanging a woody? and if you do hang a bird in the feathers. do you draw it out before hand?

#7 Rod

Rod
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Rough/Clay Pigeon Shooting, Pest Control/FT, Coarse/Sea Fishing
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Mikey,

From your post I think you missed out the bit about soaking it in salted water overnight, I soak mine in water but with a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice added then in the fridge overnight. Don't know if it's true but I was told the acid in the lemon juice breaks down the meat, same as pineapple and apples do with pork.

Rod.

Edited by Rod, 01 October 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#8 WeeJoiner

WeeJoiner
  • 331 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cornwall

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:33 PM

I gut them as soon as i can, ie within minutes if poss but usually within the hour at the latest. I hang them for approx 48hrs in a cool place unless the weather is very warm then probably no more than 16 to 24 hrs. Never had any probs and they always taste great.

I think they are easier to skin if they have been hung.

Correct me if Im wrong here but i was under the impression that soaking them in salt water is what you would have to do if you dont hang them. Most cook books say soak them in salt water but they never seem to refer to hanging time ?!

I think the smaller they are the shorter the hanging time would be but I am no expert, just how i do it, any chefs out there with proffessional point of view ?

#9 nasher

nasher
  • 157 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:bristol

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thumb them out as soon as you have shot them, paunch as soon as possible, I soak mine in water with vinegar in over night, takes the strong flavour away I got the missus and kids eating rabbit after doing it like this

#10 bruno527

bruno527
  • Member.
  • 2,377 posts
  • Interests:country side management, hunting,fast cars,women...good ale &amp; a game pie !!<br /><br />some times all together.... niiiiiiiiice!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:gods county, in't hills !! N Yorks

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(hughgoldsmith @ Tue Apr 14 2009, 20:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hugh

perfect !! same here.

#11 gerrybongo

gerrybongo
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:shooting , fishing , motor sports , collecting stuff
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:cheshire

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(bruno527 @ Thu Nov 26 2009, 07:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
perfect !! same here.

Yep me also, And i have in the past f**** up, Got it wrong thumbing then burst the urine sack open when gutting and that taints the meat and tastes rank

#12 kent

kent
  • Member.
  • 965 posts
  • Interests: Rifles and stalking from air to centrefires, Versitile hunting dogs GWP -the best! Flyfishing for wild fish fresh or saltwater. Wildfowling
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lancashire

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

Can't think of any good reason to leave meat soaking in salted water other than increase the weight slightly. Part of the reason to hang meat is to allow the meat to dry just a little making it better to handle / skin. It also tenderises the meat, allows the meat to truely brown off rather than steam in the pan and improves the taste

#13 Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson
  • Member,
  • 1,015 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Yorkshire

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(kent @ Mon Feb 15 2010, 15:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't think of any good reason to leave meat soaking in salted water other than increase the weight slightly. Part of the reason to hang meat is to allow the meat to dry just a little making it better to handle / skin. It also tenderises the meat, allows the meat to truely brown off rather than steam in the pan and improves the taste

Kent, soaking in salt water actually decreases the amount of water in the meat, the water being drawn from the meat to the water by osmosis. Water travelling towards the greater salt concentration.

#14 Brian Again

Brian Again

Motorcycle Abuser

• Member.
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in Sea Fishing, Shooting, Amateur Engineering and all thinks Gadgety.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:North Kent

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

If you soak it in salt water it tastes a little less like rabbit, which is a good thing in my opinion. Dogs can't tell the difference though.

#15 kent

kent
  • Member.
  • 965 posts
  • Interests: Rifles and stalking from air to centrefires, Versitile hunting dogs GWP -the best! Flyfishing for wild fish fresh or saltwater. Wildfowling
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lancashire

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(Bob Johnson @ Mon Feb 15 2010, 16:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kent, soaking in salt water actually decreases the amount of water in the meat, the water being drawn from the meat to the water by osmosis. Water travelling towards the greater salt concentration.

Osmosis that happens to old fibreglass! think i will stick to hanging them as this also lessens water content and actually improves the meat

#16 steveh

steveh
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, golf, football
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:E London/Essex

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Don't bother hanging them at all. I clean mine out at the end of a hunt leaving the skins on,(save liver + kidneys) sometimes skin in the field if I have time. When home, thoroughly wash out skinned rabbits with salt water, bag individually and put in freezer for later. If eating same or next day just leave on a plate covered in cling film in fridge until ready to cook. Very simple really. 

#17 neil82

neil82
  • 49 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:gwynedd

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

one good reason to soak rabbit is down to the fact that a rabbit doesn't drink, gets all its moisture from its food which can lead to a build up of urea in the blood, soaking it draws out the blood removing the tang you sometimes get on it, paunch ASAP, skin off as soon as I get home, finnish clean and in the freezer within hours of shooting most of the time 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users