AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

HW 95

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mick G

Mick G
  • 1,213 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Powys

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

When I bought this 95 (.22 carbine with silencer) I was disappointed to find that Weihrauch has seen fit to claim it to be full power and then give it 9,7 FT. Lbs. I eventually bought a Titan XS spring for it as I have been pleased with these in the past. I had to use a spring compressor to get this one in and was not surprised to find it made the gun far too powerful. taking the gun apart (easy) I cut off a few coils and tried again but it was still over the
limit. I repeated this exercise several times, removing one or two coils each time and at last I have a nice HW 95
running at 11.5 -11.6 using AA Fields and 11. 7-8 using Accupels. It is plenty accurate enough for me at 28 yards.
I just think it is a shame that Weihrauch have thought it necessary to spoil their guns in this manner, especially
the 95 which is / was such a smashing rifle. I think the 95 in its original form was better than this carbine but I think I'm going to be happy now. The Titan spring has ended up (with properly finished end) about the same length as the original. By the way, I was glad to see that Weihrauch are at least finishing off their springs
properly again.

#2 cool4cats

cool4cats
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:sunderland

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

Can you remember how many coils you cut off the spring as i feel my 95 is under powerd ?

#3 TopDog

TopDog
  • 23 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dumfries and Galloway

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

Wow; that was a bit drastic just to get another 1.5 - 2 ft.lbs!  Power isn't everything and with a factory standard rifle, a bit on the low side is good since it permits the fitting of a Delrin TopHat which with a 3mm flange and a stainless steel 1.2mm washer in piston to rest on and perhaps another on the flange to support the spring with one more on the main guide flange, increases the pre-load by 6.6mm (assuming the spring doesn't go solid!) which should increase the ME by around (0.18 - 0.25) times the additional pre-load {the actual multiplier depends upon many factors but mainly the ratio of initial pre-load to piston stroke!

After testing, if a little more ME is required just add a bit of packing such as a Delrin ring to the main guide between the flange and the bearing torsion washer!

I find that a modest pre-load 15-25mm depending upon model gives me the best balance between, smoothness, lock-time, recoil (both before discharge and after discharge) and renders the action easily serviced without a spring compressor (although I always use one on a strange rifle!).

Hope that may help others with any similar problem!  The philosophy works for any model I have yet encountered by the way and is well-founded in theoretical as well as practical engineering!

MODS:-  Love the Xmas theme!

atvb

David

#4 Mick G

Mick G
  • 1,213 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Powys

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Dave , the main point of my post was about Weihrauch advertising their guns as 12 ft. lbs. and selling them with 9.5 ft. lbs. I know that power isn't everything but if I want 11.5 ft. lbs. , that is up to me.  All those Delrin bits you mention cost more than a Titan spring which is very good quality.

#5 TopDog

TopDog
  • 23 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dumfries and Galloway

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Dave , the main point of my post was about Weihrauch advertising their guns as 12 ft. lbs. and selling them with 9.5 ft. lbs. I know that power isn't everything but if I want 11.5 ft. lbs. , that is up to me.  All those Delrin bits you mention cost more than a Titan spring which is very good quality.

Sorry; didn't mean to ignore that issue since it is key to the argument and is mis-advertising!

The modern HW guides are much better than the slayed end steel ones so can be retained.  ME can be improved easily by increasing the pre-load on the standard spring to give (I would suggest 11 ft.lbs with a medium weight pellet to allow for the huge increase possible with lighter ones!).  You would only need 6-8mm to get that and so 3-4 nylon washers dropped into the piston would provide that without over-weighting the moving parts.  That is then cheaper than a Titan spring!  Titan springs are top notch but often need shortening which can be as much of a challenge to the average owner as adding pre-load to the standard spring!  I use them myself occasionally!  Of course, knocking up a correctly fitting guide and TopHat improves smoothness and consistency enormously and is only expensive if you can't do it yourself or have a pal who can!

At least with the demise of the splayed-end ill-fitting steel guide and two properly (almost) finished ends on the spring, one is a long way to wards a nice shooting rifle than in the bad old days!

It all adds interest to our magnificent sport doesn't it!

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year

atvb

David

Edited by TopDog, 20 December 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#6 Mamutowicz

Mamutowicz
  • 18 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:S.Yorkshire

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Weihrauh selling their airguns with  German limit springs fitted. You must order EXPORT spring as well, and change by yourselve.

Only HW airguns bought outside Germany may have different spring fitted..

Interesting thing - 7,5J German limit spring for HW 98 mounted in TX200 is giving 16J with 0 pre-compression.. :)

TX rulez.. :)

My TX.. :)

#7 Pastie

Pastie
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Mid Glamorgan

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:06 AM

HW is shooting itself in the foot repeatedly.....they make some cracking rifles but the level of finish and attention to detail has slipped. Why should you need to go in and mess around with internals at all on "New Rifles".

You would think the design team at HW would change tact and embrace the "Tune" up improvements at the production phase and smash some of their competition.  How much more cost would a Delrin ring at the back of the piston cost like a Walther or TX ?

A decent spring and fitted spring guides / washers etc.if it put £30 on the rifle I'd be surprised.  Walther LGV and AA springers are really starting to show up the HW brand shortcomings. I consider HW to be in a position to need to do something about their range other than cosmetics of stock changes etc to keep any momentum going.

The whispers of the production of some springer's being moved to China would really damage the German engineered quality that was their "bedrock" and why they stood out. They could well be debasing their whole brand identity doing this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users