AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

The Christmas theme is now active.
If you do not see any changes simply scroll to the very bottom of the page and look for Change Theme, located very bottom left. Click on that link and select the Christmas theme.

Photo

isp airstream

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 john79

• 147 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Northamptonshire

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:41 PM

Any of you shoot one of these? looking at commisioning one but i dont see many about there rare as hen's teeth why is this?

some info on firing cycle ,trigger and build quality would be great thank's

john.

#2 springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 2,380 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

You need to speak to pokeandhope (Cliffy) on here.

#3 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

cheers buddy

#4 Matt

• 1,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:03 PM

I had number 13 for a while superb rifle just wasn't getting used as I got involved with the 9015 do moved it on.

Very easy gun to shoot with.

Matt

#5 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:08 PM

thanks Matt

#6 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

You also need to ask Neil Mac as he has one which incidentally he shot at the weekend. That boy has too many toys....:grin:

#7 pokeandhope

• 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

hi John, I've got 2 of them no 12 and 35. I've been shooting mine for 5 years and its never let me down . Rob Montani and Andy Simpson have two each as well and they are very happy with theirs. The beauty of an ISP is that Shaun can build it to your specifications involving you with the choice of barrel, trigger type, and finish  (titanium or blued). 

Shaun sets them up spot on so they are crisp to shoot with a very quick lock time. He services them any any mods can be added . I've only had mined serviced twice in 5 years and it shoots great on paper and very consistent on the chrono.

Hope this helps but if you need more info just send me a PM

#8 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

thank's for the info guys which barrel is favoured most cz or walther?

#9 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

There is a down side . a lot of the secondhand ones have been messed with . if you are buying new .  then you have shawns guarantee behind it . if secondhand . well buyer beware .??? HOLLY

PS In my experience . CZ barrels take a smidgen less wind and run well slower . ( 770 )

Edited by holly, 09 October 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#10 pokeandhope

• 119 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

CZ on both of mine , gives me great accuracy ,wide selection of pellets to choose from and doesn't need much cleaning.

#11 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

cheers Holly

#12 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

CZ on both of mine , gives me great accuracy ,wide selection of pellets to choose from and doesn't need much cleaning.

cheers for that, not had any experience of cz barrel's

#13 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

The one on my old EV2 MK1 liked air arms 8.4s in 4.52 . get the anschutz trigger ??? HOLLY

PS last i heard . the action was £ 1500 . i believe his dad does stocks . 

#14 DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,210 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:00 PM

Be prepared for Shaun's dad to give you the evil eye if you ask him to do a stock.  He hates doing them but when he does, the result is up there with the best.

I have an Airstream that Shaun restored and serviced but I've never had chance to shoot it at a target because of an eye problem.  I recall shooting it over the chrony some time ago and even without sorting its preferred pellet or leading the barrel, it was impressively consistent

DaveL

#15 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

I must admit I've always had a soft spot for ISP, I like the no-nonsense, thoughtful engineering with useful features like reg. gauges...:grin:

#16 Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 2,658 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

​Not used one myself for any period, but the only one I have seen in use at Club was ok accuracy wise, same as all other top guns.

What was a put off was the weight, the action was very heavy.

​I used to think the £1500 action only price put a lot of top shooters off using them, but now id be surprised if that was a factor? But something does not appeal and that's why we don't see them winning anything?

#17 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Be prepared for Shaun's dad to give you the evil eye if you ask him to do a stock.  He hates doing them but when he does, the result is up there with the best.

I have an Airstream that Shaun restored and serviced but I've never had chance to shoot it at a target because of an eye problem.  I recall shooting it over the chrony some time ago and even without sorting its preferred pellet or leading the barrel, it was impressively consistent

DaveL

Well dave . i will give you a tenner for the old ISP as you are not using it ??? HOLLY :cheers:

#18 DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Super Admin
  • 4,210 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Wow! Holly, as much as that? 

Stick a stamp on the tenner and post it where the sun don't shine    :animated_sold1:  :laughing-dog 

Cheers.  DaveL   :Grumpgramp: 

#19 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:58 AM

Stick a stamp on the tenner and post it where the sun don't shine    :animated_sold1:  :laughing-dog

That's a bit harsh Dave, you have to bear in mind that these days Holly gets most of his rifles for around a tenner....:rolleyes:

#20 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Well i ask you , and me doing him a Favour as well ??? HOLLY

PS i think i will report him .

#21 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Well i ask you , and me doing him a Favour as well ??? HOLLY

PS i think i will report him .

I would mate, you're about due for a ban...:grin:

#22 NeilMac

• 3,037 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, horses, cycling, archery
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

I have No.4 that was originally made for Sam Barr.

Shaun's dad made the original stock which has gone missing over the years.

I was not too happy with mine when I first got it, so I took it back to Shaun who found a few things he was not happy about. He did a full service and a number of alterations internally for £100. After the work and the addition of a scope riser (also from Shaun) I started to do some solid work with it and was very happy, I was intending to use my Walther until the end of the SWEFTA league and then change to the ISP for next year... and then along came the 9015 Club. In truth, as mine has an Anschutz trigger, there is very little between the firing cycles, as they both have short strokes.

Mine has what Shaun believes is the original Lother Walther barrel which is every bit as good and accurate as a modern LW, this is the reason I sold my TM1000 as they were both very accurate, but the ISP had the better trigger.

The Airstream is a constantly evolving machine, I have seen a few now and with each rifle Shaun incorporates his latest improvements. They now all have one of his trigger units as the Anschutz units have become very hard (and expensive) to come by. I have tried a number of Shaun's triggers and they are all excellent.

Weight wise, mine is not overly heavy, around the same as my Walther in the standard laminate stock.

Had the 9015 not came along when it did, I would have commissioned a second ISP, and really should use the one I have a lot more; I think it says a lot that many people who have them have two... and that is nothing to do with unreliability.

Holly has a point about second hand. There are good one's out there, but there are also some that have been severely messed with and Shaun knows which are which, so if you find one... and they are about, get the number from the seller and message Shaun on facebook, he will come back to you with what he knows, plus, he can service and repair them as he did with mine. 

#23 john79

• 147 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

Thank's for your help Neil.

#24 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:10 AM

Thank's for your help Neil.

John, you've had just about every other rifle out there so an ISP makes sense...:grin:

#25 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

You cheeky Boy ??? HOLLY

#26 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

You cheeky Boy ??? HOLLY

You can't talk , you've probably had even more over the years, except an ISP or a RAW both of which mercifully have eluded your grasp ...:grin:

#27 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

No they were OK for Neil . but a man of my special talents needs something , well Extra . 50 cal i think might do it ??? HOLLY

#28 Eaton Rifles

• 11,936 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

No they were OK for Neil . but a man of my special talents needs something , well Extra . 50 cal i think might do it ??? HOLLY

Then you would see a lot of Wales for sure....:grin:

#29 holly

holly

• 24,422 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

I was thinking more of tilbury ??? HOLLY

#30 Monty

• 25 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Hampshire, Southampton

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

I've got number 15 and number 18 and am generally pleased with them although I've done a fair bit of work on both.  The quality of some of the machining was not good, especially valve seats and both had a fair bit of brass swarf and dirt floating around in them and some less than pristine O rings despite both having had very recent services.  The good news is that they're really unsophisticated rifles that are tolerant of quite a bit of wear and damage.  The reg is as good as anything else out there and can survive being stripped and rebuilt in the field with no fear of creep.  I know because I once did it.  I'm now doing my own services and maintenance, they really are very straight forward rifles.  The two areas to keep an eye on are the O ring in the regulator poppet valve (any signs of creep and 99% of the time it'll be this O ring that needs replacing) and the exhaust valve face that over time starts to get a ring forming where the brass seat pushes into it.  It doesn't take much before power starts to drop off but it's a 10 minute job to reface it.  They are easy rifles to work on and even have a port you can screw a manometer into to set up the reg pressure (no need for a test rig) and once you get your head around them it's easy to keep them at 100% and if you have access to a lathe you can do all of the maintenance yourself. 

There seems to be inconsistency with the exhaust valve return spring loading, on number 15 it had too little preload and number 18 had way too much.  Adding preload is easy but removing it involved machining up some new parts (I could have modded the original bits but I wanted to be able to revert if necessary).

If you're going to get one don't get a manometer fitted, waste of time and makes stripping them more complex.  I prefer the 'Schutz trigger to Shaun's own, I still find it hard to believe that a bloke in a shed (a nice bloke in a nice shed) can outsmart a manufacturer that's spent millions of Euro's on trigger R&D and have a few hundred Olympic medals under their belt at their own game :) Cliff swears by the mini air splitter in the muzzle but I've had nothing but trouble with them and both of mine shoot far better without it now I've got the exhaust valve springs set up correctly.  It looks like both of mine have barrels that started off life as S200 blanks, can't fault either of them and CZ barrels seem to be less pellet fussy than many others.

Interestingly #15 has a much heavier hammer than #18 (57g and 38g respectively) but the heavier hammer feels much nicer to shoot and I'm seriously considering going against current 'wisdom' and making a 60g hammer for #18.  If you want any more info please feel free to PM me.

Almost forgot, for some reason every ISP I've seen has the reg pressure set way too high.  Both of mine came back from service over 110bar and anyone that's let me put my manometer in their hole has seen the same. It's a high end digital manometer that's calibrated so I know it's accurate to less than 1% error.  I've tried pretty much every pressure from 80 to 120 bar and the best results are at about 93-95 bar.  One of the nasty characteristics of an ISP reg that's running a high pressure is they go significantly over power as they come off reg. Dropping pressure to mid 90's see's this become a sub 10fps blip rather than a ft/lb or two.  There is no trade off on accuracy or lock time running at 95bar!

Edited by Monty, 11 October 2017 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users