AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

FT Combo Choice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MadProf_*

Guest_MadProf_*

Posted 06 January 2002 - 08:45 PM

Hi guys and galls,

I have recently visited a local FT shoot, and I think that is the area of the sport that I might like to settle in.

My question is, should I go for an Airarms ProTarget 0.177 rifle and a Tasco Target 10-40x50.

Would this combo (assuming I get up to grade) be a good reliable match winning prospect?

If you have any alternatives please let me know, I'm looking for inspiration, so any suggestions please feel free.

Although I did originally look at the Airarms S410,  This does not seem to be rated as good enough for FT, although I do know its a very good rifle in its own right especially for hunting.

I'm allowing a budget of about £1000 for the Rifle and Scope.

Thanks in advance.

#2 daz ford

daz ford

Swefta Shadow.

• 1,111 posts
  • Interests:hunting,field target,and cars<br /><br />And metal fabrication.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:wiltshire

Posted 06 January 2002 - 10:42 PM

I have recently seen Nick Jenkinson shooting an air arms s400 in the swefta winter league and he has won the last 2 shoots!!
But with a budget of £1000, i would have to agree with Simon on the pro target and custom shop combo

good luck and hope you enjoy FT asmuch as i do

regards
daz :D

#3 Guest_guy_*

Guest_guy_*

Posted 06 January 2002 - 10:54 PM

i know it aint within the £1000 budget bit hows about the new rapid ft version??? i like the look of the stock, infact later on in the year i am gonna get one with the ft stock, i like it that much but it will have to be in .22
anyone got any opinions on it??

#4 Guest_Colin_*

Guest_Colin_*

Posted 07 January 2002 - 12:30 AM

Quote (guy @ Jan. 06 2002,22:54)
i know it aint within the £1000 budget bit hows about the new rapid ft version??? i like the look of the stock, infact later on in the year i am gonna get one with the ft stock, i like it that much but it will have to be in .22
anyone got any opinions on it??

I've never fired a MK11 Rapid but if I was going to spend that much on a FT rifle I'd sooner go for a Walther Dominator if only for the versatility of the stock.
Just my opinion.

Cheers..........Colin.

#5 Guest_Colin_*

Guest_Colin_*

Posted 07 January 2002 - 12:41 AM

Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, I think you'd be better off with a second hand Pro Target ( usually for around the same price as a new s410 ) and spend the rest on a decent side wheel scope. I have a Tasco Target 10-40x50 on my Airstream and find it very dark at high mag unless it's a really sunny day and usually have to wind the mag back so I can see the target.
Hope this helps.

Cheers......Colin.

#6 Jon

Jon
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 07 January 2002 - 01:20 AM

Just a thought i have seen a good many people come and go, thinking that they are going to buy their way in. Although in the long term it could prove to be cheaper because you are not buying and selling at a loss.
As long as the gun is accurate sub 1/2" at 55 yards most springers will do this, it dont matter what you buy. The biggest concern is the scope for the range finding, go for the mark 1 Tasco 8-40*56 s/wheel or Hako equivalent as long as it is a good one, bearing in mind these will be 7 years+ old and should be thoroughly checked out prior to purchase, why sell something you cannot get hold of any more? The BSA also is worth a mention i hated mine!
You wont go far wrong if you buy privately either, a Ripley AR4, or an RN10 mk2 or an AA NJR 100 series whch is probably more accurate than any current up to date gun, the yanks love em!
Try before you buy and if necessary take some one with you who knows a little.

#7 Guest_MadProf_*

Guest_MadProf_*

Posted 07 January 2002 - 05:01 PM

Thankyou all very much, That was what I was looking for, especially about the scope.  If it's not upto the grade then that £200 can go towards a better one that is more suitable.  

I'm very wary about buying second hand purely because I dont know enough yet not to buy a lemon also I'm left handed which tends to limit my second hand options.  

Although I'm just in the process of joining a club with FT experience I would feel it a bit inappropriate to ask one of them to go with me (unless it was really local) until I get better established with them (and figure out who's in the know ;) )

I will start searching out scopes again, bearing in mind what was said above and will run any selections past you guys first so that I get what is needed.

Once again thanks for your input.

#8 Guest_Phil_H_*

Guest_Phil_H_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 06:12 PM

If I was the one spending a grand, I'd probably buy either a Ripley AR4 and either an OLD Tasco 8-40 Custom Shop (one of the very early ones) or a BSA 10-50x60 Platinum. Different people have different feelings regarding those two scopes but having used both (and owning a very old 8-40x56 Custom Shop at the moment), I've been quite impressed with both models.

What's wrong with the new Custom Shops 8x40x56?

Please anyone

Phil_H

#9 Guest_MadProf_*

Guest_MadProf_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 07:57 PM

Not totally sure, but from what I've heard the new ones have inferior optics that results in a dark image at high magnifications.  But don't take my word for it, I have not looked through one personally.

Thanks for replying.

All the best.

#10 Guest_keggyhander_*

Guest_keggyhander_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:17 AM

I have seen quite a few custom shop scopes. I am quite lucky in that mine (mk3 10-50x56) has been commented on as having the best optics they've ever seen on a custom shop.

The mk1 (like simon's got) were regarded as the best but they have 1/8th MOA clicks which some (like me) can't get on with.

The one to avoid is the Mk2. They have slop in both the zoom and the sidewheel, the eyepiece focus changes when you alter the magnification, and generally feel nasty. They only ever came in 8-40 and I don't know how you'd tell a mk2 8-40 from a mk3 8-40.

If you can get a 10-50x56 you're getting a good scope cos the mk3's are good and the 10-50 is the best of the three types (8-40, 10-50, 12-60).

-------------
Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users