AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

SS2 MATCH AIR PISTOL - A CHEAP FWB?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Canary66_*

Guest_Canary66_*

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

Shanghai Air Guns are making what looks like a Feinwerkbau 65 recoilless air-pistol, and it's being sold here soon for about £150.

Given that the supply of old 65s seems to be drying up, I am considering buying one of these for practising at home with. And also I am interested in what it is like.

Anyone have any experience with this pistol?

#2 Guest_familytales_*

Guest_familytales_*

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

Can I ask how you know the Chinese version of the 65 will be sold soon here in the UK? I might be interested in buying one at that price. I assume this is the same as the US Compasseco Tech Force SS2 version? (see http://www.compassec...icle_tfss2.htm)

#3 Guest_Canary66_*

Guest_Canary66_*

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:39 PM

double post whoops

Edited by Canary66, 17 January 2005 - 05:42 PM.

#4 Guest_Canary66_*

Guest_Canary66_*

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:40 PM

I wrote to the importer of Shanghai Air Guns in the UK, KASU, and they said they were getting a shipment of them soon. They said that they would reserve one for me and give me the name of a nearby dealer. I'll give you the phone number after I get the letter from home. Also the blocker at work wont let me look at that link, but the gun looks like a FWB 65 with slightly reddish wooden grips. It's on the Shanghai Air Guns website with a lot of other interesting erm ... 'borrowed' designs.

all best,

Canary66

Edited by Canary66, 17 January 2005 - 05:41 PM.

#5 Guest_familytales_*

Guest_familytales_*

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:34 PM

Interesting. Would appreciate that number and I'll reserve one too. Please PM it to me when you can. All the best. smile.gif

#6 Guest_Canary66_*

Guest_Canary66_*

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:28 PM

Importer/distributor of SS2 Match Air Pistol from Shanghai is ...

Kasu Ltd.
42 Laund Road,Salendine Nook, Huddersfield,
West Yorkshire England HD33TU
Tel:0044 1484 303282/303266
Fax:0044 1484 353450
Atten: Mr. Keith Dawson/Helen

#7 Guest_familytales_*

Guest_familytales_*

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:53 PM

Brilliant. Thanks.

#8 Guest_Canary66_*

Guest_Canary66_*

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:43 PM

Looks like a great pistol ...

Compasseco’s Tech Force SS2

By Jay Axelrod

Compasseco’s Tech Force SS2 is a copy of the famous Feinwerkbau 65 pistol which is a springer. Feinwerkbau one of the world leaders in air pistols knocked the industry on its back years ago when they introduced the FWB 65 pistol and the FWB 300 rifle. The FWB design used in these airarms revolutionized the air industry and excelled in competition dominating air events. The FWB 65 is a springer and springers are notorious for heavy recoil which reacts foward and rearward and annoying spring harmonics and spring rotational recoil. For years Feinwerkbau has manufactured this superb springer and have become known for their quality and accuracy in this springer recoilless airarm designs. TITAN, the now defunct English airarms manufacture reverse engineered an FWB 65 and gave the drawings to five Chinese machine works to produce not only the pistol but "exact replacement parts" for the famous German manufactured pistol. The Britts had a tolorence manufacturing problem between the 5 Chinese machine works and cancelled the contract. The Chinese were already manufacturing inexpensive airarms and knew a good thing when they saw it and continued to manufacture the FWB 65 copy offering it to the U.S. market.

The design is actually a floating receiver, which moves rearward on a rail system when recoil begins. This springer design is known for its accuracy in competition.

The FWB 65 and carries a hefty price tag of about $1070 (from the Beeman 1999 catalog). In past years the FWB 65 has been sold by ARH, Beeman and Daisy my records show 1976 prices starting at $275.

The "basic" copy of the FWB 65 has been around for a good few years now and has been manufactured by a few "independent" Chinese factories. Today the most popular of these FWB 65 copies is manufactured by the Shanghai factory INDUSTRY BRAND and the pistol is imported by the U.S. distributer, Compasseco of Bardstown, KY (compasseco.com). I had the opportunity to inspect and test a new version of Compasseco Tech Force SS2 import from the Shanghai factory, also an older well used TFSS2 was borrowed and included in the test to see how the Chinese pistol has held up over the years of heavy use. I also had three original FWB 65’s two old and one new style for comparison.

In a side by side exterior comparison of the TFSS2 and the FWB 65 shows the Compasseco TFSS2 to be a bit different physically with flat sides on the receiver tube going into a 45-degree bevel at the top compaired to the round receiver tube of the FWB 65. The finish on both pistols is very good, the Compasseco TFSS2 had what looks like a resin coating on the grip frame to resist wear. The quality of the grip frame casting and exterior machining is excellent on both pistols. I had noticed that the Compasseco TFSS2 is structurally heavier than its German counterpart in the cocking arm and hinge, which can be high stress areas.

The inovative design of the FWB 65 powerplant utilizes a steel compression ring, a design similar to the type of compression ring used in a gas engine. This steel compression ring gives long life and a consistant pressure and piston speed when compaired to the typical rubber seal used in springers. This steel compression ring design is also used in the TFSS2 and the quality of the Chinese pistol has shown in the older well used unit with many years of dependable service. Upon further inspection of the internals I found this Titan clone to be excellent in quality of workmanship with tight tolerances and highly polished areas where needed and free of tooling marks. Material used on the TFSS2 pistol is steel, aluminum and wood, the only place where any form of plastic is used is the piston buffer, copying materials used on the FWB 65.

Shooting these springers is an interesting experience, there are two modes these pistols can be fired in, recoil and recoilless. The recoil mode uses a locking plate on the foward part of the grip frame just under the barrel. The recoilless mode a rail system allows the barrel/receiver assembly its foward and rearward travel and this is noticeable during cocking. The mechanics of this recoilless system continues, as you pull the trigger and the pistol fires the barrel/receiver now travels rearward on the rails about 1/4 inch negating most of the recoil. It does take a few seconds getting use to the sliding receiver but it makes very nice to shoot. Engaging the cocking lever on the Compasseco TFSS2’s is easy, just a little more effort was need on the FWB 65’s.

The trigger of the FWB 65’s had a very good two stage trigger that was clean and crisp and a second stage letoff of about 12 ounces. The Compasseco TFSS2’s also have a very good trigger that had a clean second stage letoff that was at 8 ounces. I did not readjust the triggers on the borrowed FWB’s and TFSS2 but would say they are identical in feel. Triggers on all pistols have the same adjustments, a fine adjustment trigger pull, a 3 LB pull and a double stage trigger travel adjustment.

Two of the FWB 65’s and the Compasseco TFSS2’s had the standard wood grip with more attention to detail on the FWB, the third FWD 65 has a set of adjustable target grips. I prefered the target grip even without the palm rest to the standard although the standard grip was comfortable.

As for accuracy the FWB 65’s and the old Compasseco TFSS2 were in my hands for a short period of time and accuracy tests were shot at 10 yards standing, iron sights and the pistols easily shot dime size groups using Crosman, Daisy and RWS pellets. The newer Compasseco also shot tight groups with many 5 shot groups having 3 shot one hole. The TITAN Sichuan clone #1 was the test pistol that I had more time to test, shooting Daisy Wadcutters gave groups of .568 of an inch. The interesting thing was, it didn’t make a difference when shot holding it on a bench or standing with a two hand hold at 15 YARDS with iron sights.

The FWB’s have an option that is not available on the Chinese versions and that is an adjustable notch width on the rear blade. Both the German and Chinese pistols use spring steel inserts to give different widths for the front sights. These inserts are held in place using a small screw located in the front of the main front sight blade.

For those of you who have shot springers and haven’t shot the TFSS2 or FWB 65 you will be in for a surprise, their smooth almost recoilless operation is a joy to shoot. The FWB 65’s have the feeling of spring vibration and a small amount of recoil but is very comfortable to shoot. The Compasseco TFSS2’s actually surpassed the FWB’s with smooth virtually recoiless action and absence of spring vibration.

The two FWB 65’s, FWB/Daisy and the two TFSS2’s registered well under the manufactures tested velocity. Advertised velocities are Compasseco’s TFSS2 @ 520 ft/sec, Beeman FWB 65 @ 525 ft/sec.

I had some fun with the FWB 65 owners and put the Compasseco TFSS2 in their hands for a comparison of the Chinese and German springers, the Compasseco won hands down. I was surprised to see the Chinese Compaseco TFSS2 virtually free of spring vibration beating the German masters of springer design.

VELOCITY TESTS
Daisy Tech Force Crosman Premiers
Old Compasseco TFSS2> 411 to 423
Newer Compasseco TFSS2> 413 to 425 396 to 409 389 to 395
#1) FWB 65> 419 to 429
#2) FWB 65> 433 to 445
#3) FWB 65> 413 to 428 389 to 401 379 to 394

Pellet weights ADV ACTUAL WEIGHT
Crosman Premier 7.9 8.2
Daisy Match 7.9 7.7
Tech Force Match 8.6 8.2

Both the Chinese the German pistols have indents machined into both the windage and elevation adjustment knobs. All pistols were easily adjusted and held their adjustment through testing.

You know those Chinese instruction manuals that are so difficult to understand well the Industry Brand manual takes care of that you don’t have to worry about understanding the English since the TFSS2 manual is only in Chinese but there are lots of great little pictures and a fantastic parts identification page.

For years the thought has been that if you want a quality spring air pistol that is recoilless you would have to go to one of two German manufactures, Feinwerkbau or Dianawerk, and spend a good hunk of cash. After comparing and testing the TFSS2 I’ve found the quality of workmanship and material to be comparable to their German counterpart FWB 65. You would have to spend $1070 for an FWB 65 or $295 for the Compasseco TFSS2. Actually when Compasseco has a sale, you can turn the clock back to 1976 and beat what was the $275 plus FWB price since Compasseco’s TFSS2 sale price in 2001 is $245. The Compasseco TFSS2 is an excellent springer that is equal to or surpassed the smoothness of the best springers on the market. Smoothness in operation is a major point in accuracy for spring airarms and the TFSS2 is smooth allowing it to be an very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

#9 Guest_familytales_*

Guest_familytales_*

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:18 PM

A variation of this article can be found here: http://www.ihmsa.org.....elrod Air.htm

Jay Axelrod has a website http://home.att.net/...xelrod/air.html

He certainly doesn't have a single bad word to say about those wonderful folks at Compasseco, nor any of their products. Who needs to pay an advertising copywriter when you have a journalist coming up with reviews like this......?!

By the way, you can find an excellent dialogue between Axelrod and some of the world's best FWB 65 experts on the Yahoo group entitled 'FWB Model 65 Airguns' if you are really interested in (ie. nerdy about) this subject.

Edited by familytales, 22 January 2005 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users