AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Scottish Airgun Ban or Licensing?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rob M

Rob M
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:21 PM

Some of you will have heard that there are serious moves afoot to introduce licensing or even a ban of airguns in Scotland. Jack Straw is in discussions with Alex Salmond about allowing the Scottish Parliament to introduce firearms laws different to the rest of the UK if they wish, and airguns are very much in the firing line.

With that in mind, I ask you all to write to your MP, and also to Gordon Brown and Jack Straw objecting to further restrictions on airguns. We need existing laws upheld fully before we start introducing new laws that will ruin the sport for thousands of law-abiding airgunnners. We ALL need to fight this, if they get away with it in Scotland there's a very good chance that it will happen across the whole of the UK next!

There is also a petition here:

No New Airgun Laws

If you could sign it I would be very grateful...

Cheers,

Rob M

Edited by Rob M, 24 July 2007 - 09:45 AM.

#2 Guest_wgmorgan_*

Guest_wgmorgan_*

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Well done Rob. thumb.gif

#3 Rob M

Rob M
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

Thanks!

Thanks also to the mods for making this a sticky, cheers!

Keep signing chaps, get all your mates to sign too!

Rob M

#4 Rob M

Rob M
  • 348 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

If you'd like to publicise the petition (please please do!), Graham (GJDUK) has created some excellent posters that can be downloaded:

Posters to Download

Thanks Graham!

Please, tell everyone you can, we need to get as many names as possible on this!

Rob M

Edited by Rob M, 26 July 2007 - 08:23 AM.

#5 Rob M

Rob M
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

Thirteen days to go until the end of the "No New Airgun Laws" petition, and we have only just bust 3,500 names...

Please consider signing the petition, we need every name we can get on this. There is still a powerful campaign against airguns in Scotland, they have had a setback in that they will not be allowed to make their own 'Scotland Only' gun laws (prohibiting or severely restricting airguns) but they are still campaigning. The proposed airgun restrictions or even a complete ban were on the cards for Scotland alone but Jack Straw (UK Home Secretary) was looking favourably on the Scottish campaign for a ban on airguns, he was recorded as saying he wanted to help them ban airguns and would see how it went as "he was minded to do the same across the whole UK" if it went ok! He is also on record as wanting to close down Bisley Shooting Ground as he has no respect at all for legal shooting sports or sportspeople.

So come on! This could STILL affect airgunners across the whole UK... Write to your MP objecting to any further restrictions on legal and safe sports and pastimes, write to Gordon Brown, write to Jack Straw and Alex Salmond too while you're at it, and please, SIGN THE PETITION!!!

#6 Guest_Phixer_*

Guest_Phixer_*

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:11 AM

I really dont know how you guys in the UK handle all of the gun restrictions. It seems like it gets more strangling each year, this would drive me nuts. Recently read about another one today.
Cheers

#7 Guest_mark b_*

Guest_mark b_*

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

sighned thumb.gif

#8 Goatherd

Goatherd
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:shooting (duh), photography, weather, reading, goatkeeping.<br /><br />Current guns : Weihrauch HW 97K, Beeman 2400E
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Nr.Ilminster, Somerset

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

Some further developments :

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/7272553.stm

Edit : I also managed to sign the petition before it closed. 3,810 signatures is nothing to be sniffed at!

Edited by Goatherd, 04 March 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#9 Rob M

Rob M
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:47 PM

Here's the response from HM Gov't (finally!):
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Government accepts that there are legitimate uses for air weapons and that the majority of owners use their air weapons responsibly. However, there is a minority of people who misuse air weapons, causing great concern in the community, and the Government is determined to tackle this problem. In doing so, we will always look to act proportionately so that legitimate air weapon owners are inconvenienced as little as possible.

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 introduced new controls on air weapons to tackle their misuse. The Act:

required businesses which sell air weapons to register with the police as firearms dealers and to complete sales on a face-to-face basis;
increased to 18 the minimum age for buying or possessing an air weapon; and
made it an offence for anyone of any age to fire an air weapon beyond the boundary of premises.
The Government intends to allow these measures time to take effect before considering the need for any further controls, although it cannot rule out earlier action if it becomes necessary on public safety grounds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you go...

#10 Guest_RC45_*

Guest_RC45_*

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Please vote:

http://www.thisislon... rifles/poll.do

Found this on another forum....

#11 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,411 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

Clicky! Who should have gone to Specsavers? thefinger2.gif rofl2.gif escape.gif

#12 Guest_AdrianMcErlean_*

Guest_AdrianMcErlean_*

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:22 AM

I can not really see what all the fuss is about. Surely its better to keep guns from people untill the police has done a check on your past. After all an air rifle can kill in the wrong hands. So I think its better to have a control over sales of air rifle than a complete ban.

Being from Northern Ireland everyone needs a FAC for all guns including under 12ft/lbs air rifles and a police appovered gun safe to store it in. Our FAC`s last 5years and after which we need to apply again.

#13 Solway

Solway
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

I can not really see what all the fuss is about. Surely its better to keep guns from people untill the police has done a check on your past. After all an air rifle can kill in the wrong hands. So I think its better to have a control over sales of air rifle than a complete ban.
Being from Northern Ireland everyone needs a FAC for all guns including under 12ft/lbs air rifles and a police appovered gun safe to store it in. Our FAC`s last 5years and after which we need to apply again.

Just about anything can kill if someone wants it to........ so where does the checking stop?

Btw, do you really trust the Government?

rolleyes.gif Wait till the same logic gets applied to thinking........ don't imagine the present lot wouldn't.

#14 Guest_RC45_*

Guest_RC45_*

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(DaveL @ Tue Dec 23 2008, 00:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

T*$$3r

Now I see why AirgunBBS has ten times more users than this forum............

I bet you got picked on at school................

#15 Guest_Dougie_*

Guest_Dougie_*

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

I have written to Mr MacAskil in Edinburgh as follows

Dear Mr MacAskil,

The wording of a proposed petition to be sent to the Prime Minister in London is as follows -

"The Calman Report recommends that The Scottish Parliament
should be handed control of airgun legislation in Scotland. The
Scottish Parliament will undoubtedly use this power to place a
ban on unlicensed airguns in Scotland. This measure harms the
legitimate sporting shooter and fails to address the real
problem; that caused by unlawful use of airguns. Criminal use
of airguns by its nature cannot be legislated against by
removing airguns from those who abide by the law.

We believe that this ban will have an adverse effect on
legitimate sporting shooting, and will provide no deterrent to
those who misuse airguns. The Labour Party's own 'Charter for
Shooting' (2005) recognises there is no connection between
legitimate sporting shooting and gun crime. Airgun crime in
Scotland has fallen according to the Gun Control Network's
statistics from 1005 offences 15 years ago to 567 last year.

This new legislation would erode the civil liberties of
sporting shooters in Scotland and fail to remove airguns from
the hands of criminals".

I as a sporting airgun shooter and as a retired Army Officer, Police Officer and mid ranking Civil Servant who has a small sideline in pest control at local farms here in the Scottish Borders am writing directly to you to let me know my views on this subject.

I really must protest at the way in which the English Parliament is passing the buck as it were to see if an airgun ban in Scotland were it to be applied could succeed before then trying the same tactics throughout the rest of Britain in an effort to solve the problem caused by a miniscule amount of peaple who wish to misuse these weapons.

Banning ligitimate users will not achieve this as the criminal element will continue to exist and cause problems with such misuse.

Why not ban all knives (including those lethal looking chefs knives) completely as these cause more deaths and injuries than the airgun misuser. Present legislation is completely inadequate to deal with these problems and a ban would do nothing to resolve this. All that would be achieved is that the legitimate and responsible users of airguns would effectively become a voter who would look to place their vote with a candidate who would be supportive of their pastime.

Many airgun users have spent many hundreds of pounds on a weapon that is finely engineered for pin point shooting in skilled hands. These are people who use these guns in a highly responsible way and can in no way be compared to the yobs for want of a better term for them who cause the trouble.

Please consider this before heading directly into banning airguns throughout Scotland so that many of us can continue with our hobby without feeling we are a disgraced member of society as the recent publicity appears to do.

Yours faithfully

Doug Sewell

Power to the people !!!

#16 sleeprunner

sleeprunner
  • 11 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Fife

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

Doug

Good letter and please let us know if you get a response

Regards
Martin

#17 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, then Beer !
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cheshire

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I've also posted this under the "BASC" thread, as I think it's relevant to both -

Please read this article - http://news.scotsman...guns.5395232.jp

11,000 signatures on http://petitions.num...ScottishGunBan/ are the very minimum we need, I'd suggest - so why not visit and sign ? There are an estimated 4 Million plus airgun shooters in the UK - a vast pool of support.

Theres also information from BASC and a link to the petition at http://psa.bizhostin.../whats_new.html

If you can get as many of them as you possibly can to sign this petition, we MIGHT have a chance - but it depends on us getting other shooters to sign.

Remember, if this is seen as a success in Scotland (make no mistake - as a political issue it will be described as a success despite any evidence to the contrary * ) then there WILL be pressure for the scheme to be adopted throughout the UK.

It's our sport - we need to muster as much support as we can get - remember that airgunning is the route most people use to get into the sport.

* Just look at the pistol ban - more people than ever getting killed and injured by criminal with pistols, yet the government still insists that it is a "success."

#18 Mike2

Mike2
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, then Beer !
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cheshire

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

I see I'm board member 27, 038 - does that mean there are more than 27,000 members ?

If so, I wonder how many have signed the petition at http://petitions.num...ScottishGunBan/ ?

We're up to 1,516 as of 2nd July, but we really need ten times as many if we're to combat the Scottish petition to ban airguns, which has (allegedly) 11,000 signatures.

Have YOU signed ?

#19 Redneck

Redneck
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:My dogs, knives, guns, spending time outdoors, offroading, fixing up cars.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Glasgow

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:40 PM

Ive signed and Id like to ask ...

Do politicians have blinkers on all the time?

I mean really!

Do they seriously think that putting a ban on something or making it illegal will deter "the criminal element" from continuing to misuse things such as air rifles?

Lets look at a few of the currently banned, controlled or illegal things we have in the UK:

Guns
Bombs
Fighting in the street
Rape
Stabbing people to death

Now these are all "No no's!" as far as the law goes, but guess what... they still happen.

Legal or illegal, if someone wants to do it bad enough it will get done, no legislation is going to stop this.

In my opinion they should take all this time and money thats being spent and put it towards sorting out the punishment for commiting these crimes and breaking the law.

The fact that certain people are misusing air rifles just shows that they are not afraid of the consequences.

And truly so... If you break the law you may go to jail... Big whoop!

Its like a frickin holiday camp these days. Games consoles, free time, 3 meals a day....

What happened to a 23 hour lock down, randomly assigned beatings and being fed on rice and water?

That would make them think twice!

Maybe I'm a little old school in my thinking but I think if the "criminal element" were a bit more afraid of being sent down for a spell it would take away the whole "Big man" image of being a criminal and society would be a bit better off.

#20 holly

holly

holly

• 10,488 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Bring back dartmoor . hard labour , ten hours a day in a quarry splitting rocks with a sledge hammer till their hands bled ??? HOLLY

#21 Redneck

Redneck
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:My dogs, knives, guns, spending time outdoors, offroading, fixing up cars.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Glasgow

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE(holly @ Wed Jul 8 2009, 20:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring back dartmoor . hard labour , ten hours a day in a quarry splitting rocks with a sledge hammer till their hands bled ??? HOLLY

Exactly! clap.gif

Either that or line them all up and shoot the f*****s! sniper.gif

#22 WeeJoiner

WeeJoiner
  • 329 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Cornwall

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

Honest opinion, it wont matter how many people sighn the sheet. Its not about guns directly its about targeting a contoversial issue in order to gain political favour with the general public. Im not saying dont sighn the petition. you must at least attemt to show your views.

Perhaps all airgunners should now apply for shotgun certs and firearm certs. we will need to replace our airweapons with something. That could lead to a massive increase in much more dangerous guns in the country. surely that would be an issue for them ???

Edited by WeeJoiner, 22 August 2009 - 01:07 AM.

#23 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• Administrators
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(WeeJoiner @ Sat Aug 22 2009, 02:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps all airgunners should now apply for shotgun certs and firearm certs. we will need to replace our airweapons with something. That could lead to a massive increase in much more dangerous guns in the country. surely that would be an issue for them ???

offtopic.gif They'll NEVER ban shotguns because that's a sport a majority of MP's partake in !! In much the same way that Spirits and cigars tend to get less affected in the yearly budgets!! offtopic.gif

All these gun laws and they're not solving the problems , they're creating more each time.

HARSHER SENTENCING SEEN RIGHT THROUGH FROM START TO FINISH are required IMO-

All crimes involving Weapons,Physical Violence should be custodial and any crimes for fraud,theft (the majority I believe) where NO physical harm was caused should be dealt with outside the prisons. Maybe then there would be more room "inside" for the REAL criminal element of the UK!!

Then MAYBE airgun crime would actually result in punishment rather than a 'slap on wrist' and "oooh my airgun has been destroyed, I will have to go and buy another 40.00 springer now and do it again!! rolleyes.gif "

#24 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

I think the very sad thing about this is that it's not a matter of bringing back the "hanging and flogging brigade".

Interestingly enough, when handguns were banned, the MPs still have their pistol range and access to handguns underneath Parliament. They don't suffer at all.

All these things are done by using clever words in the right places. I don't live in Scotland and have signed the petition because I think that what has been said is absolutely true that it will go on to the UK as a whole.

One of the big things to try and do is get the media on our side, the "handgun" banning was a knee-jerk reaction and totally wrong, and has been admitted as such after the event. That is too late, we could all lose our air weapons unless put on an FAC if we're not careful.

The BASC have influence and I would think that if they could lead the way, their way would be the way ahead in this situation. I also think that it would mean all air gunners would have to belong to a legitimate shooting club.
Best,
J. J.

Edited by Just Jacques, 24 August 2009 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users