AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Cutting thread on a Rapid Barrel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 J-B

J-B

Technical Support

• Super Admin
  • 2,907 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Grantham Lincs - Formerly from Leeds.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 05:02 PM

#2 Don

Don

'The Squirrelbasher'

• Member.
  • 2,473 posts
  • Interests:Movies, computers, motorbikes (big & fast!), & airgun/rimfire hunting
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:New Forest, Hampshire

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:47 PM

I'm just getting a blank mate!

Don

#3 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

Don,

Working fine here mate, i'm guessing probably something to do with your security settings, but best to have a word with Lincs_Sniper or DaveL on that one, i'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it for you.

thumb.gif

#4 J-B

J-B

Technical Support

• Super Admin
  • 2,907 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Grantham Lincs - Formerly from Leeds.

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE(Don @ Fri Nov 23 2007, 18:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just getting a blank mate!

Don

Explain blank ?
Do you mean after you have pressed the play button you do not see the video ?
Can you view the other post Demonstration of various shooting positions ?

#5 Guest_albob_*

Guest_albob_*

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

that was interesting to watch,nice one sam.
al

Edited by albob, 23 November 2007 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Replay

Replay

Dedicated to stalking DaveL

• Member.
  • 2,027 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Guns, Lathes, Milling Machines.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Manchester

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:41 PM

Best video picture on the net!!!!!

Works fine with my vista 64 bit LOL....nowt wrong here guys!!!!!
Shame about the lathe being used though Haha ....How many time have i told you Sam mate,? if you wanna use a good lathe then come round here and use mine LOL.....Take care bud...nice work....simple.but nice.

Replay

Edited by Replay, 23 November 2007 - 10:53 PM.

#7 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Replay @ Fri Nov 23 2007, 22:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you wanna use a good lathe then come round here and use mine LOL.....

Replay

You just want me to show you how to use it, don'tcha? thefinger.gif atounge.gif abiggrin.gif

thumb.gif

#8 Replay

Replay

• Member.
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

Just sort them ruddy fox out will ya.

#9 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

Aaaaaaaargghhhhh, sorry bud, I totally forgot to call and sort that out.
I'll speak to you in the week, scouts honour and will start whacking them foxes for you asap.

#10 bulldog

bulldog
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

Yep definatly something wrong with that video, for some reason the chuck gaurd isn't in use atounge.gif

#11 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE(bulldog @ Fri Nov 30 2007, 22:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep definatly something wrong with that video, for some reason the chuck gaurd isn't in use atounge.gif

If it helped me cut threads any cleaner i'd use it. thefinger.gif

atounge.gif abiggrin.gif

#12 Replay

Replay

• Member.
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:37 AM

Please don’t go knocking the uses of the guard, its bad enough Sam has to use that lathe.
After watching the demonstration myself, I shuddered at the noise that gearbox made as he turned a thread.
I take it your lathe is gear driven and not belt driven Sam.

The noise that gearbox made, reminded me of the Harrison L5 lathe, as noisy as they came, with its noisy gearbox.

Replay

#13 Guest_verminshooter29_*

Guest_verminshooter29_*

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

great videos guys nice to see how its done.i know im always slagging off rapids .sam in no way am i slagging you or your work off.i just don t understand why theoben dont thread cut them in the factory as standard surely they must realize that most folk would rather have them screw cut to try different silencers. thanks again for the videos keep up the great work.

#14 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

Verminshooter29,

Theoben do now offer their Rapids with screwcut barrels from the factory and have done for a short while, they do listen and catch on eventually. awink.gif

Replay... thefinger.gif

Bet those 2 Axminister lathes belonging to Colin and myself have turned out more quality, saleable airgun, shotgun, rimfire and fullbore components in the last 12 months than yours will do in a lifetime.
Most lathes are capable workhorses these days, its all down to the man stood behind it, which is probably where yours falls short. abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif atounge.gif

#15 Guest_verminshooter29_*

Guest_verminshooter29_*

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

yes i know that sam but they charge extra for the privelege something that others dont

#16 gedfinn

gedfinn
  • 786 posts
  • Interests:ex university lecturer, metals and welding, i enjoy running, chess drinking, holidays etc etc, being retired since i was 47 i have time to indulge in ALL my hobbies, i build jet engines and make my own airguns,both spring &amp; precharged,i like mainly older guns, and have a collection dating back to the turn of the century, about 45 in total, favourite gun, my bsa cadet major, cheers,

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:42 PM

I Can,t see it ?????

#17 Replay

Replay

• Member.
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(gedfinn @ Thu Dec 6 2007, 12:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I Can,t see it ?????

Put your GLASSES on geddy abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif

Replay

#18 bulldog

bulldog
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(Replay @ Sun Dec 2 2007, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please don’t go knocking the uses of the guard, its bad enough Sam has to use that lathe.
After watching the demonstration myself, I shuddered at the noise that gearbox made as he turned a thread.
I take it your lathe is gear driven and not belt driven Sam.

The noise that gearbox made, reminded me of the Harrison L5 lathe, as noisy as they came, with its noisy gearbox.

Replay

Only having a friendly josh with another turner, good to see the video posted to show people how it's done, wish one of our customers had seen it, might have understood when I told him I couldn't re'm/c thread on the end off his 4ft long undercarriage leg that had last foot bent 45deg, mind you he also didn't understand when I told him it was m/c'd when straight and in softened state then bent, then hardened and tempered, he just walked off muttering about us getting newer machines.

#19 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

Hehehe, yep, some people just don't apreciate how much work actually goes into some things. (should've shown dialling in with a 4-jaw and DTI for a barrel with eccentric bore!) abiggrin.gif
Watching somebody else do it in a video like this makes it look easy anyway, so most (non engineers) probably still won't fully appreciate the process...

I shortened, recrowned and screwcut a centerfire this morning and fitted a mod that i'd made from scratch, now that might've made interesting viewing from start to finish. wow.gif

As for your customer, bulldog, tell him to get himself a BIG die set! abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif

thumb.gif

#20 Brian Again

Brian Again

Motorcycle Abuser

• Member.
  • 1,113 posts
  • Interests:I am interested in Sea Fishing, Shooting, Amateur Engineering and all thinks Gadgety.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:North Kent

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(Sam @ Tue Feb 26 2008, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehehe, yep, some people just don't apreciate how much work actually goes into some things. (should've shown dialling in with a 4-jaw and DTI for a barrel with eccentric bore!)

When playing with various barrels in my lathe I've found a simple way of doing this. I have a 3mm dia ground rod, dead straight, and made two 4.5mm PTFE sleeves to fit over it. A couple of wraps of insulating tape either side hold the sleeves in place while I push it down the barrel, the rod pokes out the end and a DTI can be used on it. If the choke is tight push the rod and one sleeve through from the back end and slide the sleeve onto the rod from muzzle end.

How do the professionals do it ? Come on, share the secrets !

#21 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:36 PM

Spot on basically.

You'll find the majority of modern barrels are much easier as the bore line runs, more often than not, concentric to the outside diameter.
If thats the case then simply dial in off the o/d of the barrel or blank and start making swarfe.

If I do get an eccentric bore then I have a range of bore pilots and will dial in off the pilot, simple really, but takes time.

I've had a delivery of barrel blanks this morning from a well known barrel maker, each and every one has been perfect.
(Boy do I wish that was the case with some of the old rimmies that come in) rolleyes.gif

#22 Guest_MRDD_*

Guest_MRDD_*

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Could some one pm me the price to get 2 barrels threaded,air gun barrels and if they can do it please.
Thanks

#23 Guest_bruno22rf_*

Guest_bruno22rf_*

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

This is so slow on the old type centre lathe-a CNC lathe with self centreing jaws would do this job in less than a minute if block tooling was used.Set up time would vary with operator but would be less than 1 hour.

#24 The Green Man

The Green Man
  • Member,
  • 3,510 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, airguns and photography.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Tirol

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Interesting, I see two blank boxes too, no video clip or anything, hmmmmm confused.gif

#25 DaveB916

DaveB916
  • 707 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Yorks.

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

Works fine for me .

Dave B

#26 Guest_boxerian_*

Guest_boxerian_*

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

Just watched this for the first time. My lathes are MUCH older than the one used, but would give better results as I would have the compound slide set at half the thread angle (the corect way to screw cut) to apply a cut, and would use a verdict gauge to clock up on the bore. Other than that, nice video.

Glasses are much better than the perspex guard, especially if coolant is being used.

#27 bulldog

bulldog
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

Now, you say that and technicaly you are correct, I was trained to do that, but once out of the training school stopped doing it, 30+ years in the aerospace industry and I've not had a complaint yet (apart from cutting the threads a bit tight)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users