AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

BFTA Club Insurance Scheme

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Posted 26 December 2002 - 04:01 PM

Insurance - not a great topic. But - a very necessary one!

This is the time of year when it soon becomes necessary to renew club insurance and I want to "bang the drum" about THE BFTA CLUB INSURANCE SCHEME.

I was involved in negotiating it last Dec/Feb and until then I must admit to thinking that insurance was a real drag! In a away, it still is!

There isn't space here to describe the scheme in any detail - so I can also plug the Shooting STARS web page about it instead - at Insurance. This is about insurance generally ("Insurance for airgunners"), although it ends up concentrating on the BFTA scheme, mainly because it is about the best scheme around - certainly for non-FAC clubs. It includes civil liability - not just public liability as offered by so many other schemes. If you don't know what civil liability means check out the page.

Briefly - public liability is generally if you do damage to someone then you are covered against loss if they make a successful claim against you in court. Civil liability goes much further - it is cover against all kinds of civil action to do with running a club or a sport.

The scheme includes a lot that was extra in the previous scheme - for instance regional committees no longer need separate insurance. Also all events authorised by the BFTA are covered - "Have-a-go" days, village fetes etc.

Individual members also have £2M of personal civil liability cover INCLUDED IN THEIR CLUB'S INSURANCE under this scheme. ALSO, providing they are BFTA card-holders (or are signed up for a card), they also have £1,000 of All-Risks cover for their personal equipment and £2,000 personal accident related to shooting.

As an all-in scheme, this would be very hard to beat!

If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer them - or get answers from elsewhere (I can ask the broker and, if needs be, they can ask the underwriters).

Keith

#2 Guest_Jonathan_*

Guest_Jonathan_*

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:41 PM

Keith, great to see some hard work being done behind the scenes. I hope your association appreciates the work involved in negotiating something like this.

I was wondering if this scheme might be extended to us 'on the other side of the pond'. Obviously with the laws in Northern Ireland we'd need it to cover FAC airguns too. Would you be so kind as to enquire on my behalf.

Thanks in anticipation,

Jonathan.

#3 Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Posted 15 February 2003 - 09:07 PM

Jonathan - Thanks - in case you haven't heard, I'm not on the committee at the moment but I'll pass on your enquiry. I know they couldn't do anything for a friend in Greece when they were starting up because of being "overseas" - but you are part of the UK!! Also, the BFTA scheme is stricly non-FAC. Anyway, I'll "have a word". Nice to hear from you - not too sure that I'll make the worlds - planning two trips to Germany for FT events and it all adds up a bit! Keith

#4 Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Guest_Keith Ryan_*

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:05 PM

Jonathan - I spoke to NSRA contacts today. They do have Northern Ireland clubs as members. If you call 01483 485503 you get straight through to the Membership section and Jenny, who should be able to give you the details.

The NSRA scheme is very similar to the BFTA scheme except that there is no personal equipment insurance or extra personal accident cover - you have to be a member of the NSRA to get these personally. It is an excellent scheme and was the model for what the BFTA have now. It does have FAC cover, being for small-bore shooters, which is specifically excluded in the BFTA scheme. The BFTA scheme (with the same brokers and insurers) went for no FAC cover (saving money) but also it went for personal equipment cover for the benefit really of young shooters who may not have adequate home insurance etc. Best of luck - Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users