AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

World FT Championships SA

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robF

robF
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

I thought it would be useful to have a thread about the event. As I'm thinking about it I'm sure others already are.

Firstly who's going? Or thinking of going? It would help the country's organisations to know in advance so they can pick the teams ;) as well as helping with other aspects of attending.

The South Africans have a website here : http://www.ft-worlds2009.co.za/

There is an FAQ on the site which i've copied and pasted for ease below :

When will the 2009 Field Target World Championships take place?

25 – 27 September 2009

What can we expect of the weather?

September is Spring in South Africa. You could expect temperatures between 8 – 26ºC with possible afternoon thunder storms. It is advised to apply sunscreen during the day.

Where will the Championships be held?

A venue within the Tshwane municipal boundaries (Pretoria - Gauteng Province) will be identified for the Championships.

Do I need a permit to bring my rifle into South Africa?

No. South Africans are currently not required to license their .177 or .20 air rifles. Visitors from abroad enjoy the same privilege. Be sure to have your rifle’s serial number handy at customs. Note that any air rifle of .22 cal or more would need an import permit.

Will public transport be available from the airport?

Yes, but it is not advised to use mini-bus taxis. If you make your trip’s reservations through a travel agent, be sure to specify that you would need transport from and to the airport. Alternatively you can hire a vehicle at the airport for the duration of your stay.

How expensive is food in South Africa?

To compare prices for example: a 500ml bottle of water can cost you R5.00; a can of tuna can cost you R10.00; a loaf of bread can cost you R7.00; a standard beer can cost you R15.00 in a restaurant. Feel free to contact any of the Worlds Committee members for more information.

Is it safe to drink water from a tap?

Yes. The areas around the venue of the Championships mostly have safe water, but it is suggested to drink bottled water if you are sensitive to changes in your diet. Water from the tap is safe to boil for coffee / tea.

What currency must I use in South Africa?

South African Rand is the only currency accepted. Most shops, restaurants, accommodations accept credit cards (Visa and MasterCard). You are able to exchange your currency at the International Airport and most banks in South Africa who have a foreign exchange branch. South Africa does not have “money stalls” where cash can be exchanged.

Will I get Malaria if a mosquito bites me?

No. Pretoria and the whole Gauteng Province is completely Malaria-free. Be sure to apply a mosquito repellent though, as a mosquito bite can be very irritating.

Which destination airport do I fly to ?

OR Tambo International Airport - Johannesburg.

What is the entry fee ?

ZAR500 per individual

For UK shooters the exchange rate is 15 ZAR to £1

I have also asked the SAFTAA a couple of questions about the event, the replies are below :

We are in the process of finalizing the venue where the Worlds will take place. We are looking at hiring a place where there is accommodation, camping facilities and ablutions on the premises for most of the participants.

Please just note at this point in time that the website is still being developed after hours, so you may not find all the detail there just yet.

As far as safety is concerned: yes there are areas that need to be avoided, but the venue is not close to any of these. You will be safe when you hire a car at the airport and drive to the venue. *

* Erica advises the precaution of keeping doors locked during trips and just being observant and traffic stops. However, to put this into perspective this is my standard practice for traveling around parts of London and the US, so I don't think this aspect is something to be overtly concerned about.

As far as flights are concerned... a bit of diggin has shown that inc taxes around £ 600 covers the flights. It would be interesting to see if that price can be beaten, if you know of a good source, post it for the benefit of others.

Car hire can be anything from £100 to £500 per week, depending on size of car and how many you wish to fit in it. People might consider sharing a car or two, so post if your up for that.

Erica replied very quickly to my questions. If you have any other info, please post it here for the benefit of others. Also, if you know of England shooters who are thinking about going, but are not web connected, please PM me for my contact details so we can keep as many people in the loop as possible.

Cheers

Rob

#2 chrisJ

chrisJ
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

I would love to go and seriously thinking about it, Depends on finances as I have to pay for three. Will decide in the new year, Emirate Airlines were the cheapest I could find, ticket price around £550. There was talk of Air Arms putting something together but not heard anything as yet.

Chris

#3 rockdrill

rockdrill
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, hunting in UK & Africa

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:51 AM

In terms of flights, Emirates may be cheaper and are a nice airline to fly with - but having done a bit of reading around on their policy for firearms transportation it appears to be more involved with getting permissions to transit guns through Dubai than if you used one of the direct flight airlines.

SAA are very good with transporting airguns as are Lufthansa - both airlines I have flown to SA on and taken airguns.

Dale

Edited by rockdrill, 27 November 2008 - 07:52 AM.

#4 robF

robF
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:29 AM

I should add that the Virgin and BA flights for £600 were direct. I also had reservations about flying through Paris etc with an airgun, and as far as i'm concerned, the less time those gun cases get touched, the better biggrin.gif

#5 the pieman

the pieman
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

theres no probes taking the guns with BA i know i work for them your right the ticketes are about £600 each im taking the wife and having a holl will im out there any one got ideas where to go second week after all no point going 1/2 way round the world for 6 day,s

#6 chrisJ

chrisJ
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(the pieman @ Sat Nov 29 2008, 19:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres no probes taking the guns with BA i know i work for them your right the ticketes are about £600 each im taking the wife and having a holl will im out there any one got ideas where to go second week after all no point going 1/2 way round the world for 6 day,s

Staff Discount for us all..... thumb.gif Cheers Doz

#7 Guest_berty177_*

Guest_berty177_*

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:49 AM

Well its about time Doz helped us out hahaha. At least the Welsh team are sorted to go. We've been talking about it for a while now, really looking forward to the prospect of shooting out there. Be nice to get an idea from the Welsh lads who is really serious about going as well.

Theres not alot of time really, with saving etc etc to make sure you are going. Doz I think we should have that chat about the flights and see what we can sort out fella.

Speak soon Berty...........

#8 robF

robF
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

This just in :

SAFTAA are proud to extend a hearty invitation to you all to join us at the 2009 World Field Target Championships. The venue will be the Mutango Lodge, about 25 km north east of Pretoria. Limited accommodation will be available at the venue, with more at other lodges in the surrounding area. We have set up a Worlds web site at www.ft-worlds2009.co.za – the site is still under development, and you are requested to note the following (if it still appears on the site when you access it):

On the Important INFO page -

1. Delete the RULES TO BE FOLLOWED paragraph – since SAFTAA will have to abide by the WFTF Core Rules, any clothing should be allowed (including shooting jackets, trousers & shoes). No knee or elbow padding will however be allowed.

2. Where will the Championships be held?

“The venue will be at the Mutango Lodge – about one hour’s drive from the OR Tambo Airport and 25 km north east of Pretoria.” Their web site is www.mutangolodge.co.za

Please forward the contents of this email to all your members with the invitation that we’d like to meet them all in South Africa next year. SAFTAA would also appeal to NGBs to bring along teams of at least six members (max eight) – let’s make the 2009 Worlds the greatest team event yet!

On behalf of SAFTAA and the WFTF I wish you all and your loved ones a blessed festive season and a splendid 2009.

Regards,

Johan Jansen – Chairman: SAFTAA and WFTF.

#9 Guest_BFTA Web God_*

Guest_BFTA Web God_*

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

I have asked on several occasions that such detail is forwarded for inclusion on the BFTA Web site.

Its a great shame that this is not happening and a missed opportunity.

#10 robF

robF
  • 3,139 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(BFTA Web God @ Tue Dec 23 2008, 23:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have asked on several occasions that such detail is forwarded for inclusion on the BFTA Web site.

Its a great shame that this is not happening and a missed opportunity.

I'll add your name to the email swarm steve, hopefully that should get something your way.

But on another note... BA have just sent me their January sales details and until the 30 sept, a flight to SA is now £ 505... which is about £120 cheaper than i've found it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users