AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Photo

Webley Excel barrel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamie

Supplier of 60% MOLY PASTE

• 381 posts
  • Interests:shooting , surfing (net) formula 1 , bike racing
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:lydney, glostershire

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hi guy's
Got a Webley excel .22 in with a problem ,Gun appears to have been fired with barrel in break position resulting in bent barrel , not tried to strip it . Question is can barrel be removed from breech block to check it and possibly straighten it ?.
Gun is carbine version with push on silencer . gun is not worth much money and buyer has not paid full amount so i had a look on chambers and barrel is out of stock and 50 which is almost as much as gun cost.so need to fix what we got.
Regards Jamie.

Edited by jamie, 28 January 2010 - 07:52 AM.

#2 raygun

• Administrators
  • 8,489 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Remove the barrel, complete with breech block. Place on two "V"blocks. Home made wooden ones will do.

Turn barrel until the "curve" is at the top and sort out a lever so that you can force the barrel downwards. Taking a little care you should be able to straighten the barrel.

A barrel doesn't have to be perfectly straight to shoot well. The last inch or so has to point in the right direction.

Shouldn't cost you anything and you'll have a working rifle.

ATB
Ray.

#3 jamie

• 381 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for the tips Raygun the worst of the bend seems to be as barrel enters the block so might have to clamp it in a padded vice and give it some good old talking to with a big block and hammer ohmy.gif

#4 raygun

• Administrators
  • 8,489 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Make sure that whatever force you apply, you spread it along the barrel.

If not you may just compress the barrel in one spot, and that would never do. biggrin.gif

ATB
Ray.

#5 jamie

• 381 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

OK will do and thanks again for the help,ill let you know how things turn out at the moment the gun is firing about a foot high with scope full down so cant get much worse wow.gif

#6 Jon

• 2,415 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

It can it could be 2ft high.

Probably fired off or barrel let go as cocking.
It will take some bending back a lot more than you think. Make sure the vice is bolted down solid and no chinky job, it may break.
Suitable tube over the barrel to get leverage, more of a shunt than a knock, it will spring back so will have to over cook it biggrin.gif Done loads.
Thats what i have seen Venom do to rid barrel droop.

#7 jamie

• 381 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Fri Jan 29 2010, 18:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can it could be 2ft high.

Probably fired off or barrel let go as cocking.
It will take some bending back a lot more than you think. Make sure the vice is bolted down solid and no chinky job, it may break.
Suitable tube over the barrel to get leverage, more of a shunt than a knock, it will spring back so will have to over cook it biggrin.gif Done loads.
Thats what i have seen Venom do to rid barrel droop.

Ha Ha yes 2ft high would have missed my 2 ft sq piece of plaster board as i aimed about 6" from the bottom and then would have been very worried @ 20yds .The barrel is quite short and very stout so might need a big 'hug' to comfort it lol.
Venom in deed needs must and all that .
Thanks Jon.
Jamie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users