AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zooma_*

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Many years ago I started an air weapons section of the Exmouth Smallbore Rifle Club, and later formed the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club.

To start with we were fairly nomadic, and shot in a variety of places (including my garage and a skittle alley) until we were fortunate enough to find a permanent home in a church hall just outside Sandy Bay in Exmouth where we shot every Monday night for many years. I never missed a club night until my work took me away from Exmouth.

In those days we shot against other "local" clubs such as Plymouth and Tiverton as well as shooting in the NSRA and NARPA postal leagues.

We also travelled to RAF Cosworth near Wolverhampton to shoot in the NARPA finals each year until the demise of this great organisation, as well as the NSRA finals that were held in the Sophia Gardens in Cardiff each year, and as a new club we had a fair share of success amongst our members individually and as a team.

Over 30 years later I now live "up north"and would like to start target air pistol shooting again - possibly by starting another new club, and maybe building a range in my own warehouse.

I would like to hear from any old (or current members) of the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club that may remember me, or anyone in the Rossendale area that may be interested in starting a new target air weapons club.

#2 rich

• Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Maybe a contact with the Devon Small Bore Rifle Association would prove fruitful?

http://www.dcsra.org...c...=1&Itemid=1

#3 Guest_Zooma_*

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Rich - I will give it a try.

#4 Guest_Zooma_*

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi Rich,
I tried the link, and it was very interesting to see the "local" clubs matches and results etc, but due to the lack of any current activety from the Exmouth Smallbore Club, or the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club I am guessing both are now no longer in existance.
This is a big dissapointment as both were very good and active clubs when I was fortunate enough to shoot with them when I lived in Exmouth between 1972 and 1980.

#5 frankjp179

• 1 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Exmouth Devon

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:00 PM

hello Zooma,
My name is Frank Payne and I am the Chairman of Exmouth APRC.
We are still operating at Littleham Community Hall. I've been with the club since 1978 and we have never ceased to exist, been close a few times though. For some years we were only 3 but we stuck at it. at the moment we have 6 members. Ten years back we had 8 shooters and we decided to upgrade the range. i don't know if you remember having the target boxes on the stage and having to wait for everyone to finish their card before walking up to change them? Well we increased the range fee and also paid the same fee if you didn't turn up. Over the next 3 years we purchased 8 static electric target changers, turned the range around and that was that. We now only shoot 10m and we still enter the Devon postal comps.
I only found this site because last night [Monday 18] a new visitor told me that he had seen it and that someone had posted to say that we were defunct. he obviously hadn't read the Clubs and Activities page in the Exmouth Journal or looked at the town or County websites.
so I just thought that I would bring you up to date.

best regards
Frank

#6 John Hayward

• 133 posts
  • Interests:Survival, Bushcraft, Rugby, Outdoors, Military
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Hampshire

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Zooma @ Tue Mar 30 2010, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Rich,
I tried the link, and it was very interesting to see the "local" clubs matches and results etc, but due to the lack of any current activety from the Exmouth Smallbore Club, or the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club I am guessing both are now no longer in existance.
This is a big dissapointment as both were very good and active clubs when I was fortunate enough to shoot with them when I lived in Exmouth between 1972 and 1980.

According to our local advertsing paper, the Exmouth Air Pistol & Rifle Club is still up and running. They meet every mon evening at the Littleham Community Centre.

#7 zooma

• 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lancashire

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Hi Frank,

I am so pleased to know the Emouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club is still going after all those years since I started it in 1971.

Unfortunatley I believe the other original members of the club have also left the area and I have lost touch with them over the years since my job took me away from Exmouth in December 1978.

I do remember those pellet boxes - I made most of them from the NARPA plans in the garage behind my house in Greenpark Road!

We had a few more members than you have at this moment, but all clubs suffer from membership fluctuations from time to time - the main thing is that you have survived and things are getting better.

I was looking at my original drawings the other week from when I designed the first club badge and I still have a couple of these on key fobs. (If you let me have your adress by email I will send you one of them).

Now I am starting up all over again by helping to get another new club going here in Rawtenstall (Lancashire) - and again using NARPA design pellet boxes - they are ideal as they are safe and strong and need little cash when starting again from scratch.

Please stay in touch and wish all current members my best regards - I would love to come and visit you sometime to meet you all and see how things have progressed since I left.

Do you remember Bob Stiles, Dan Doorman, Robert Towill, Robert Hendy (Des), Arthur Whittacker, and the 42 Commando armourer Robert Macintosh (Mack) who shot with us when we were still based at the Exmouth Small Bore and Rifle Club?

Best regards - Bob.

#8 rich

• Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:52 AM

If it helps, our club shoots LSR in the NSRA league and in division 2 there is a team from Exmouth, R Street, G Smith, J Causley.

#9 zooma

• 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lancashire

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the info Rich,

I don't recognise any of these team members, but maybe when Frank Payne (or any other memebers of the current club) sees this thread they may still have an older member who remembers some of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users