AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Air Gun club bad experience

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 als

als
  • 18 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Devon

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:56 AM

Well, after a long break and just a bit of plinking, I decided I wanted to join a club, so went along to (shall not mention names) a local club after getting more info via email.

I sat in a sort of communal area for ages until a bloke came and took my details, name address etc.

Then I sat around for ages again.

I thought I was going to get some target time and had bought my own pistol.

OK so it's an ancient Walther LP53 but these guy's just took the ###### out of it.

Look, I'm not back into target shooting for real as yet and this will do me fine for a short while until I decide to take it up again seriously and spend some dough.

After nearly two hours sitting around, I asked if I could actually shoot over the range to see what it was like.

The answer I got was, sorry, we've got young (whoever) in there at the moment shooting for a postal competition and he needs to be alone.

We'll try and fit you in next time.

I just left at that point.

As a sport, certainly around my way, match airgun shooting is in the doldrums at the moment, and if the attitude of this club is anyhting to go by, it's no wonder.

I wasn't asking for the red carpet to be rolled out, but I didn't think it unreasonable to get a taste of the range rather than just sitting around in an empty room for two hours.

I felt like a right lemon.

Clubs should be going to the ends of the earth to attract new shooters into the ranks, not treating them like this.

#2 AirGunForum

AirGunForum

Forum Super Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,928 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Newcastle-under-Lyme

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

That's disgraceful, <name>. Clubs like that need a jolly good sorting out. Fortunately, clubs like this are in the minority. Let's hope someone reading this knows of a better club with better manners.

I think you should name and shame. There may very well be someone with connections to the club who may be able to point out the error of their ways and get it sorted out properly. That way, the club may improve and stand a chance of surviving.

A straightforward, written policy for handling newbies should be produced and should be available for newbies to read. Also, taking the #### out of your hardware is absolutely not on and the club's chairman should get that straightened out as a matter of priority.

If I'd been treated like that, I'd have written a letter detailing your experiences to the chairman.

I've moved this to the clubs forum, which is the best place for it.

Cheers. DaveL

#3 als

als
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(AirGunForum @ Sun Oct 10 2010, 12:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you should name and shame. There may very well be someone with connections to the club who may be able to point out the error of their ways and get it sorted out properly. That way, the club may improve and stand a chance of surviving.

OK then.
It was the Yealmpton rifle and pistol club in Devon.
I went because whilst not air gun specific, they did have the correct facilities and catered for air gun shooters.
The last club I belonged too many years ago was in Kent and a whole different story.
They had a very welcoming atmosphere and certainly didn't exhibit the same sort of gun snobbery I witnessed here.
People shot all sorts from Brocock air cartridge guns (they were still legal then), to full on match guns.
We certainly would never have let a prospective new member sit on his/her own in a corner for nearly two hours twiddling their thumbs.
Anyway rant over.
Does anyone know of a good friendly club within say 30 minutes drive of Plymouth ? sad.gif

#4 CoolId

CoolId
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

I guess that would be Dartmoor Marksmen if you don't mind shooting outdoors

Come on Gus (Gwylan) - give the man the good news

Regards

Dave

#5 Loyd

Loyd
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

You might also consider South Devon Air Gun Club, in the Torbay area, a little further but only about 40 mins.
We have several members who live in Plymouth, and they obviously think the journey worthwhile

#6 rich

rich
  • Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

So sorry to hear of your bad experience, as the bad PR risks rubbing off onto other clubs.

Maybe too far to go from where you live, but here in Shebbear we actively do our best to provide the broadest "church" we can; we have to, with such low population density it's hard to get enough bums on seats so to speak.

It's a shame that by and large match pistol and match rifle are shot at rimfire and live round clubs, where different rules and sometimes different attitudes prevail. True to say, NSRA administers both types of shooting so one can see why they are natural partners. That's not a reflection on the NSRA by the way, just that rimfire clubs tend to be more picky over new recruits and visitors.

If you want to try your hand some time at light sporting rifle (20 yards standing) then email me at rich@ex21.eclipse.co.uk. We use our village hall as an indoor range (with consent and full insurance of course!) and put on about three general meetings a month. We've also done some pistol shooting but there is another club at Braunton (an hour north from here) with more pistol facilities and so they tend to attract our pistol enthusiasts.

#7 als

als
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

Many thanks for the reply's.
I think out of those suggestions, I'll maybe give the South Devon Air Gun Club as that's the nearest.
I'm back from holiday on the 27th so sometime after then.
I'll try not to show you all up with my trusty recoiling LP53
biggrin.gif

#8 rich

rich
  • Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

deleted as no longer relevant

Edited by rich, 11 October 2010 - 10:10 PM.

#9 craftsman

craftsman
  • 181 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Nottinghamshire

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

From the original post, it's sounds like "young so-and-so" needs a bit of experience of shooting in a crowd, not being isolated and spoiled!

#10 james1410

james1410
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Dont know which part of Devon you are in but if its East Devon then check out the tunnel at Charmouth. www.thetunnel.co.uk. Very friendly and club members get to use all sorts of toys without requiring an FAC. Air weapons more than welcome. In fact we have just started steel plate shooting. See IPAS on youtube for an idea of whats involved.

#11 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• Administrators
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(james1410 @ Tue Oct 26 2010, 14:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont know which part of Devon you are in but if its East Devon then check out the tunnel at Charmouth. www.thetunnel.co.uk. Very friendly and club members get to use all sorts of toys without requiring an FAC.

I hope that statement does not include LBR's /pistols??

#12 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

I agree with Craftsman, shooting comps you shoot shoulder to shoulder and not on your own. When that young man gets into any "Open Comp" he will most likely just "Go to pieces" they are doing him no favours.

I live in Yorkshire where we greet new members as do most clubs, You are well to be "Elsewhere" from that club
Best
JJ

#13 clubshot

clubshot
  • Member,
  • 3,844 posts
  • Interests:All forms of Shooting. Especially Practical Pistol.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:North London

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

We get more Shooters most weeks @ Lea Valley

I normally do the paperwork and take them around Ranges

But leave them to other Members - Most come back and say it's a real Friendly club

But aware of issues where Both Full Bore & Air Gunners use Ranges ohmy.gif

But some do expect someone to spend the day with them -

But majority accept that others are there to Shoot as Well

But to assist where needed -

But We @ Lea Valley have Several Ranges and Competitions that appeal to Members

Where other just want to Plink / Practise

We average around a 100 Shooters most Saturday's - through the Ranges - 0930 -1600

BOB/R

#14 JerryD

JerryD
  • 66 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Rutland

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(als @ Mon Oct 11 2010, 19:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many thanks for the reply's.
I think out of those suggestions, I'll maybe give the South Devon Air Gun Club as that's the nearest.
I'm back from holiday on the 27th so sometime after then.
I'll try not to show you all up with my trusty recoiling LP53
biggrin.gif

Shame you're not closer to Hereward: I'd've had a good dribble over the LP53!!

Shame you had such a poor experience. Our club tenet is: "shoot safe, have fun", and the only thing we frown at is unsafe behaviour. Some people forget it's a hobby with many different facets, not a religion.

#15 daveuk

daveuk
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, rabbiting, Hunter Field Target
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Gloucestershire

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE(sg1 @ Wed Oct 27 2010, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope that statement does not include LBR's /pistols??

I think that if a club is home office approved?, they are allowed to give members the opportunity to shoot without an FAC.
Only reason I mention this is that on very rare occasions I get to use a large big bang stick and I am not FAC registered.
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users