AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

A 108 year old BSA(info needed)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hazzer59

hazzer59
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Motor Caravaning , Air Rifles, Model Radio controlled boats, & Motorcycling .
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Devon

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:57 PM

Hi to all , what is the best way to sell my 108 year old BSA 177 in super condition ,I have had it completely checked out by Mr John Knibbs ,any info would be of great help , I would like to wish all the members a happy new year .hazzer59

#2 Garvin

Garvin
  • 73 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:City of London

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE(hazzer59 @ Thu Dec 30 2010, 16:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi to all , what is the best way to sell my 108 year old BSA 177 in super condition ,I have had it completely checked out by Mr John Knibbs ,any info would be of great help , I would like to wish all the members a happy new year .hazzer59
Why not advertise it on here in the sales section?

If you're not sure of its value then you could ask for suggestions in this section, but you will absolutely need to post links to some pics if you want sensible suggestions. If you don't know how to do this, send me a personal message or email (details in my profile) and I'll host the pics for you.

I doubt it is actually 108 years old because that would date it to 1902 and unless it's a super-rare prototype that's a full three years before BSA began air rifle production in 1905!!

Happy new year.

smile.gif

#3 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,415 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi hazzer,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you can post the serial number it will give a good idea of the date of manufacture.

I've altered the thread title slightly to avoid any misunderstandings. biggrin.gif

ATB
Ray.

#4 hazzer59

hazzer59
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Motor Caravaning , Air Rifles, Model Radio controlled boats, &amp; Motorcycling .

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(raygun @ Thu Dec 30 2010, 18:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi hazzer,

Welcome to the Forum.

If you can post the serial number it will give a good idea of the date of manufacture.

I've altered the thread title slightly to avoid any misunderstandings. biggrin.gif

ATB
Ray.

#5 hazzer59

hazzer59
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Motor Caravaning , Air Rifles, Model Radio controlled boats, &amp; Motorcycling .

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Hi ,ups sorry , I ment 1908 that the gun was released by BSA the number on the rifle is 9394 , i have photos of the gun but you can tell I`m not that good with the computer ! any help would be much appreciated, i would like to advertise it on the forum , wub.gif

#6 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,415 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(hazzer59 @ Fri Dec 31 2010, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ,ups sorry , I ment 1908 that the gun was released by BSA the number on the rifle is 9394 , i have photos of the gun but you can tell I`m not that good with the computer ! any help would be much appreciated, i would like to advertise it on the forum , wub.gif

Dennis Hiller gives that number as 1907. Do you know what rifle it is ie. Light Pattern, Heavy or Improved a/b.

There should be other info stamped on the rifle which may help.

Garvin has offered you help with the pics so you could contact him as he suggested.

ATB
Ray.

#7 Garvin

Garvin
  • 73 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:City of London

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(hazzer59 @ Fri Dec 31 2010, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here you go hazzer, links to your pics. smile.gif

http://i165.photobuc...airrifle004.jpg
http://i165.photobuc...airrifle005.jpg
http://i165.photobuc...airrifle006.jpg
http://i165.photobuc...airrifle011.jpg
http://i165.photobuc...airrifle001.jpg

#8 sg1

sg1

Early Morning Admin(yawn!!)

• Administrators
  • 1,938 posts
  • Interests:Lightweight Sporting Rifle Competition Shooting,Clay Pigeon Shooting(ESP),Collecting Swords/Knives, Cooking , Computer Repairs and of course my Partner and our 3 kids.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South coast, west sussex

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:02 AM

@hazzer59,

I have an article on the Old BSA models such as yours in a magazine somewhere in my collection, If I can find it I will scan it on PC and post it up here for you smile.gif

atvb and Happy 2011

sg1

#9 Mike95

Mike95
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Taken up the airgun again after 40 years due to rats in the garden. Started with a QB78, moved on to Gamo 440 and Webley Longbow. Also acquired a Webley Nemesis pistol and joined a local target club.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have a series of articles written by PJ Colman in Guns Review 1978.
The SN 9394 was one of those allocated to BSA beween 1906-7 when BSA and Lincoln Jefferies were selling under the two names. I assume the etching is too faint to read but would probably read, "BSA AIR RIFLE LINCOLN JEFFERIES PATENT,.......

Standard Model would be OAL 43-45 inches and Light Model would be 38-40 inches.

I have a 1906 .177 SN 4146, BSA Light Model with the above etchings on the cylinder.

As to value, I paid 150 for my 1906 Light Model, in vgc, a few years ago. Value will depend on condition, particularly the etching on the cylinder. The pics are not detailed enough to tell what the condition is.

Hope this helps.

Mike95

#10 hazzer59

hazzer59
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Mike (95) Sorry for the delay in answering , my BSA is 43in long and the Etching is very feint , but i had it overhauled by Mr John Knibbs so its in good condition , but i payed a lot for the re-vamp ,i think that I`ve out priced myself on the value , many thanks for taking the trouble to look up the info , Brian thumb.gif

#11 palidinroams

palidinroams
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:vancouver, BC

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi, Do you still have your BSA for sale ? if so could you PM me at d-gill@shaw.ca with what you might be asking for it .
Regards
Gill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users