AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diana HW35

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jano4321

jano4321
  • 3 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:47 AM

Hi

I have inherited one of these guns, I am no expert, but I would say it is in pretty good condition.

It belonged to my uncle who used to tell us that he got it from a German Soldier and of course, as kids wwe were facinated.

Can anyone tell me anything about it (the truth this time;-) ) and about what it is worth please?

Jan

#2 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 917 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi there,
It would appear that you may be a little confused as to whether you have a Diana model 35, or an HW35. HW stands for Hermann Weihrauch, who also make a model called 35. A quite understandable mistake if you are not familiar with airguns. If you could verify which one you have, I am sure someone will be along shortly to advise you.

atb, Shinny.

#3 oneshot

oneshot
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:44 PM

Jano

Do you have to push a lever forward to release the barrel??, if so then it's a HW35, if not then it's probably a Diana/Original mod35...

Both are decent German guns cool.gif

John smile.gif

#4 jano4321

jano4321
  • 3 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:West Midlands

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hi both and thank you for your replies.

As I said I know nothing about guns and the information I gave was what I was told yo me by someone I "thought" knew about guns. I was also given a catalogue going back years from a company called JLS (who are local to me) open at the page where this gun was illustrated.

Anyway I decided to inspect the gun myself rather than having someones opinion and it is neither names that I was given or quoted.

It is actually a Haenel 302. The markings were under the scope and very difficult to read without a torch and a magnifying glass.

So I am sorry I led you all "up the garden path" with the first description.

I really want rid of this gun, can you please give me some information on it and if possible let me know how much I could ask.

It is is good condition, has not been used regularly but does shoot.

Many Thanks.

Jan

#5 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 917 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:05 PM

Sorry Jan, I have no knowledge about Haenel 302 models but someone will surely advise you.
Good luck with the sale.

atb, Shinny.

#6 oneshot

oneshot
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Hello Jan

Your Haenel was made in East Germany, the front of the cylinder should have the impressed ring where the cylinder has been 'crimped' on to the breech block.

The trigger is quite crude but should have an automatically set safety, the stock is beech..

I was offered one about two years ago for 50 that was in quite good condition but at the time I was trying to 'abstain' from buying any more guns as the wife had been giving me a hard time due to me having around 50 guns back then!! (I have around 60 now so her nagging didn't have any effect biggrin.gif )

Good luck with the sale, they are solidly built guns and should fetch more but i think there's a stigma attached to them because they weren't produced in West Germany sad.gif

EDIT- forgot to say, if I was you, I'd offer it for sale at around 100 as I have seen them go for slightly over that thumb.gif

Cheers, John smile.gif

Edited by oneshot, 25 February 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#7 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Northants

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

The version with the safety catch wasn't introduced in the UK until 1971 by the importers, Parker Hale.

The problem is that the 302 (1965 + from memory) and 303 (? '69) both came in version with and without the safety catch.

Either were very well made, if a little old fashioned and cheap but they were properly made. A new one would have all the screw slots lining up, unlike a lot of dearer ones. You could get a very, very tight group out of them at 25 yards and they greatly benefited from having all the East German lubricants removed and replaced.

Regards, David

#8 tigger

tigger
  • 2,557 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

Didn't you write some very informative small booklets on various air rifles back in the late 70's? I'm sure I've got one knocking around somewhere!

#9 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE(tigger @ Wed Mar 16 2011, 23:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't you write some very informative small booklets on various air rifles back in the late 70's? I'm sure I've got one knocking around somewhere!

Guilty as charged, gov. Nice to be remembered...

#10 Garvin

Garvin
  • 73 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:City of London

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(D R Hughes @ Thu Mar 17 2011, 16:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guilty as charged, gov. Nice to be remembered...
Your HW35 and FWB Sport handbooks are classics and permanent, well-thumbed fixtures on my bookshelf. It's a real pleasure to be able to offer thanks directly to the author after all these years!

By the way, David, I think I have an HW35 that pre-dates even the very early ones that you mentioned in the brief history of this model in your handbook. I've always been impressed that you were aware of the rare "side-screw" HW35s back in those pre-internet days, when information was so much harder to come by.

#11 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE(Garvin @ Fri Mar 18 2011, 01:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your HW35 and FWB Sport handbooks are classics and permanent, well-thumbed fixtures on my bookshelf. It's a real pleasure to be able to offer thanks directly to the author after all these years!

By the way, David, I think I have an HW35 that pre-dates even the very early ones that you mentioned in the brief history of this model in your handbook. I've always been impressed that you were aware of the rare "side-screw" HW35s back in those pre-internet days, when information was so much harder to come by.

Many thanks, as I said, it's nice to be remembered. It makes a change from being treated like an old imbecile in some gun shops!

The Burgo was very interesting as it gave a couple of details I sometimes wonder about but have never resolved. Nothing like tying up loose ends. Personally I always like the older version with the grooves around the spring and piston chamber and, alas, so did the burglars...

At the moment we are clearing out our loft and putting a lot of stuff on ebay but will have to stop soon just to deal with some other problems it has thrown up. If there are any collectors fairs etc I might be tempted to set up a stall but have little to offer other than leaflets and instruction manuals from our files.

Anyway, thanks again. Regards, David

#12 Garvin

Garvin
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(D R Hughes @ Fri Mar 18 2011, 09:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many thanks, as I said, it's nice to be remembered. It makes a change from being treated like an old imbecile in some gun shops!

The Burgo was very interesting as it gave a couple of details I sometimes wonder about but have never resolved. Nothing like tying up loose ends. Personally I always like the older version with the grooves around the spring and piston chamber and, alas, so did the burglars...

At the moment we are clearing out our loft and putting a lot of stuff on ebay but will have to stop soon just to deal with some other problems it has thrown up. If there are any collectors fairs etc I might be tempted to set up a stall but have little to offer other than leaflets and instruction manuals from our files.

Anyway, thanks again. Regards, David

Actually there is talk of a proposed collectors' fair over on the BBS at the moment, which may be of interest.

If you like the earlier HW35s, you may also enjoy this one.

smile.gif

Edited by Garvin, 18 March 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#13 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the links.

The collectors' fair looks interesting. Although my idea of fair prices is a little (40years) out of date. I'll probably lurk there and then set up the table...

Looking at the early HW 35 I was reminded of the old BSF S54 "Match" which came with a peepsight like that and without one. And then I remembered my long gone BSF 60 N and was cursing the burglars. The S54 "Standard" came with the BSF 55 N and 60 N's stock on it but I expect you knew that. I've just found/dug up one of their early leaflets (in German) but there's no clue as to the date.

Regards, David

PS (As an edit) I've just had a quick glance at the BSA forum and was surprised to see nothing there about the old Admiralty BSA that was later on used by the RA. I had one in the collection years ago but sold it off when we closed.

Edited by D R Hughes, 18 March 2011 - 03:26 PM.

#14 Garvin

Garvin
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(D R Hughes @ Fri Mar 18 2011, 15:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS (As an edit) I've just had a quick glance at the BSA forum and was surprised to see nothing there about the old Admiralty BSA that was later on used by the RA. I had one in the collection years ago but sold it off when we closed.
Presumably you mean the gun-laying teacher? I agree it would be nice to have something on it in the forum at some point, but it will need someone to supply some pics of one, I suppose. I know John Knibbs writes about it at great length in his book on the pre-WW1 Lincolns/BSAs.

I know what you mean about the similarity of the early HW35 to the S54, with its beautifully engineered diopter sight.

By the way, if you have any literature relating to either vintage Dianas or Falke air rifles I would really appreciate some scans to post on my other forums. Thank you.

smile.gif

Edited by Garvin, 18 March 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#15 mad mike

mad mike
  • 2,913 posts
  • Interests:Real Ale.Airguns.Lusting.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Derbyshire

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

If you want "teacher" pics.... dunno.gif ...you have only to ask.... thefinger2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users