AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

I just reassembled an old mod50...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I had forgotten what an absolute ballache these things were to put together furious.gif furious.gif

It's taken me around two hours to rebuild it and I couldn't remember how it went together (I stripped it a few years ago doh.gif ) so i had to take my other 50 out of it's stock and remove the cylinder cap to see how it looked inside biggrin.gif

I never thought I would come across a trigger blade as mine was snapped but Shinny saved the day and offered one for sale on here so I jumped at the chance to get this nice old gun up and running again cool.gif

Some pics..

And the nice Ally trigger blade (the broken one was made of plastic ohmy.gif )

I'm Just happy that I had the other Original to see how it should look once assembled or it would probably have ended up in bits forever biggrin.gif

Of course now I have to remove the action so that I can re-finish the stock now sad.gif

John smile.gif

#2 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 942 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

The stock looks just fine in the pics John. Nice old gun. What year is that one?

Regards, Shinny.

#3 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

Hi John

I've fitted the trigger (a sod of a job it was too furious.gif ) but it worth it as i've just lobbed a few pellets down our garden and it shoots lovely cool.gif
Here it is with the 'better' one (the better one is 177cal, the one I fitted your trigger to is 22csl)

I'll just have to re-finish the stock to make it look a little nicer...

Many thanks for the trigger parts, this old girl would still be in pieces without them thumb.gif thumb.gif

Cheers, John smile.gif

#4 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 942 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi John, thanks for the pics. For me personally the one without the scope has the much more attractive stock. I prefer the finish and the shape of it. Just me!

Regards, John.

#5 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(shinny @ Sat Mar 5 2011, 20:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi John, thanks for the pics. For me personally the one without the scope has the much more attractive stock. I prefer the finish and the shape of it. Just me!

Regards, John.

Hi John

That's the earlier slimline stock, the other is what they morphed into- big and bulky!

I forgot to add that it was produced in August '67

John smile.gif

#6 martinhall

martinhall
  • 25 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Berkshire

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:41 PM

I like the `unfinnished' stock too, a much nicer profile, specialy the fore end, good work mate, got your sense of humour back up and running yet? August '67 eh? I still had all my hair and teeth back then!

Edited by martinhall, 08 March 2011 - 06:44 PM.

#7 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(martinhall @ Tue Mar 8 2011, 18:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the `unfinnished' stock too, a much nicer profile, specialy the fore end, good work mate, got your sense of humour back up and running yet? August '67 eh? I still had all my hair and teeth back then!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hi Martin, i was nine years old in '67 abiggrin.gif abiggrin.gif

I had another mod50 a few years ago that was marked 'Gecado' mod50 (for the American market I believe), it had the same slim stock and was in fantastic condition but wouldn't cock, I stripped it but someone had been in before me and lost one of the three balls, I eventually acquired some balls (Ooer missus wacko.gif ), put it back together and it shot as smoothly as any rifle that i had owned- in a mad moment I sold it.... for 30 confused.gif

Cheers, John smile.gif

#8 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Northants

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Those three balls are 3mm from memory. The trick is to have the barrel pointing down when you do it and the they won't drop out of the holes in the tubular wotsit.

Regards, David

PS Nice couple of rifles, btw.

Edited by D R Hughes, 14 March 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#9 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(D R Hughes @ Mon Mar 14 2011, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those three balls are 3mm from memory. The trick is to have the barrel pointing down when you do it and the they won't drop out of the holes in the tubular wotsit.

Regards, David

PS Nice couple of rifles, btw.

Hi Doc

I think the balls were more like 4 or 5mm, I cheated when fitting them, I put a smear of grease in the holes, this held the balls in place whilst everything was slotted and pressed together biggrin.gif

The grease also seems to make the cycle quieter thumb.gif

Regards, John smile.gif

#10 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(oneshot @ Mon Mar 14 2011, 23:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Doc

I think the balls were more like 4 or 5mm, I cheated when fitting them, I put a smear of grease in the holes, this held the balls in place whilst everything was slotted and pressed together biggrin.gif

The grease also seems to make the cycle quieter thumb.gif
Regards, John smile.gif

I expect you're right. I thought I'd written it down years ago for future reference but, after spending the morning looking and re-reading things I'm blessed if I can find my note and I'm appalled at how bad my spelling was 40 years ago!

Regards, David

PS Not doctor, btw, that honour goes to Joe Gilbart who, sadly is no longer with us.

#11 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hello David

Crumbs, Please accept my apology for not rcognising such a famous name in airgun tuning wow.gif , in my defence I offer a plea of galloping senility doh.gif

I never managed to buy one of your publications regarding the HW35 range of rifles but had only heard them mentioned over on the BBS, I was recently sent a PDF of the entire book but as yet, haven't had chance to read through it sad.gif

Here's one of my three HW35's, the 35export isn't marked as Weihrauch but rather, EUSTA, I emailed Weihrauch for any info on the rifle (was even informed that it was a 'fake' 35e) I haven't received a reply from HW as yet (don't think I'll get one either as it was a few weeks ago when i sent the mail)

EUSTA

Kind regards, John smile.gif

Edited by oneshot, 18 March 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#12 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(oneshot @ Fri Mar 18 2011, 15:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello David
Crumbs, Please accept my apology for not rcognising such a famous name in airgun tuning wow.gif , in my defence I offer a plea of galloping senility doh.gif

I never managed to buy one of your publications regarding the HW35 range of rifles but had only heard them mentioned over on the BBS, I was recently sent a PDF of the entire book but as yet, haven't had chance to read through it sad.gif

Here's one of my three HW35's, the 35export isn't marked as Weihrauch but rather, EUSTA, I emailed Weihrauch for any info on the rifle (was even informed that it was a 'fake' 35e) I haven't received a reply from HW as yet (don't think I'll get one either as it was a few weeks ago when i sent the mail)

- - - Snip! - - -

Kind regards, John smile.gif

Hi,

Wow! Flattery will get you anywhere!

Funnily enough I tried to sell a copy of the HW 35 handbook a week or so ago and it was on ebay for a day before they took it off as, it seems, I was indirectly selling an air rifle. Well, there was part of the stock of one beside the book. Alas, the stock was the remains of one of Brutish Rail's unique modifications from the late 60's and didn't exist from the middle of the grips... Currently I've a few bits and pieces on ebay but only things like "Sheridan" leaflets, Feinwerkbau parts lists and so on.

I don't know how to say this politely but you are lucky to have a pdf of the book. I only discovered this forum whilst trying to track down the so and so's who'd copied it. My next target is the hardback book with my line drawings of pellets in, that were copied from my catalogues etc. I am also wondering how I can get all the handbooks etc back on sale but as a pdf and the proceeds going to charity. But, as is the way of the world, it's looking very complicated.

I like the collection. Take care with it as mine was stolen one weekend when we were on holiday many years ago. Funny thing; they also took a black face MoD (with broad arrow) "Omega" of mine. Guess how carefully your collection was looked at! ;-) Seriously, I do like your collection. Trouble is, at my age, I'm trying to get the house emptied and some cash for it before it ends up in a skip. We've had one or two deaths in the family and I don't want to lumber my son with what we went through...

Anyway, enough of my problems. Thanks again for the nice comments.

Regards, David

#13 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Crikey David!!

The military Omega would have been a good few hundred quids worth ohmy.gif

The trouble with burglary is the thought of someone being in your house, my garage was burgled a few years ago and it enraged me but they got clean away with the stuff.

Luckily they only took a few electrical tools that were any good, they took loads of circ saws, jigsaws, drills etc that I bought from the bootsales for spares (all non working) so I guess the joke was on them laugh.gif

Fleabay are a strange place to sell gear as they seem to remove listings sometimes as soon as there is a complaint yet other times, I know that there have been multiple complaints and the fake goods were left to run til the end mad.gif

I saw a fake Rolex go for hundreds of pounds, the same with Omegas and folk on the watch forums have all complained to no avail- Possibly Ebay wouldn't remove the listings because of the high fees they will receive from the conmen sad.gif

Could you offer your books/ lealets on the shooting forums??, there would be no fees like on the bay..

I would certainly like to buy some of the books like the HW35/FWB/Original ones as I never managed to find one in the past..

All the best, John smile.gif

#14 oneshot

oneshot
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Ooops

I was supposed to have previewed the last post but clicked 'add reply' accidentally!!

Here's around half of my collection of watches that have taken me almost 40years to amass..

My wife thinks I have an OCD (crumbs!- I can't only have one ohmy.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif )

Cheers, John smile.gif

#15 D R Hughes

D R Hughes
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

I wish you hadn't told me about the "Omega", sigh! On the other hand, one's bound to turn up in a charity shop for a pound; they won't charge more as it's clockwork.

I put the stuff on ebay as I'd no idea what it's worth. Of course, the trouble with ebay is that your one could go at 99p after 10 days of being ignored as they are all fighting over one elsewhere that reaches 999 an hour later. And, of course, you know the line: "I know nothing about BSA's but I guess it's a 1913 model as it's got a double pull trigger" and the other variation ends "and the oil can is missing" . That frightens people off or brings them in; I've not decided after seeing a lot of fakes of this and that.

I'll have a think about selling the handbooks; I've a small number of them but have no idea which they are as they range from 1972 to '82. The lot as a PDF on a CD or DVD might be the best way to go. I really don't know. Scanning the best and post-production problems will make the scans take hours and it may not sell and the few copies of the books I own/have left on ebay might be best or, perhaps, at the Sutton Coldfield Fair. My main aim when I started was simply to clear the loft. Same applies to the collection of catalogues, etc. You should have seen the recycling bin, btw. We filled it three times, I was worried the wheels would fall off.

Regards, David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users