AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

OLD SCOPE "SUPRAMAR"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eaj

eaj
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:WARWICKSHIRE

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hi all, can anyone throw some light about an old good quality scope I have. The confusion comes from the mag and diameter figures. The full markings are B NICKEL MARBURG SUPRAMAR 2 1/2 x 52 this would be simple on a moden scope but....................coparing the mags with other scopes it is about 4x the other measurement is 23mm which would be a 4x23 so what do the figures represent hope this is making sence thanks if anyone can help.
Cheers
Eric

Attached Files

#2 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 942 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi eaj,
Nickel scopes were made by Hertel & Reuss in Germany and were equal in quality to anything on the planet!

Many old German scopes quote as the second figure in the mag the number of magnification areas, not the object glass diameter. That is to say, they divide the OG by the magnification and square the answer. Thus, a 4x36 (as we know it), would be called a 4x81. (36 divided by 4 = 9. 9squared = 81).

Got it?

Hope this helps, Shinny (aka confused.com)

#3 david9d

david9d
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Mending things, Vintage Motorcycles, Model Engineering, Live Steam,<br />..oh yes...and airguns
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lincolnshire

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:23 AM

Interesting, and a good explanation too.
Presuming that the first figure refers to the magnification, does that make it a 2.5 x 28.8 in today's terminology ?

David

#4 dogsbody

dogsbody
  • 44 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Flintshire

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

If I have managed to follow the maths right it would be in todays reckoning a 2.5 X 18 (approx)
I think
atb
dogsbody

#5 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 942 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

Dunno! Need a Japanese brain (calculator) to work it out and I don't have one handy.

Think 2.5x18 sounds nearer. Sq root 52 is 7 and a bit. 7 x 2.5 is 17.5, so 2.5 x 18 is about right.

Anyway, it will be of the best quality.

#6 david9d

david9d
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Mending things, Vintage Motorcycles, Model Engineering, Live Steam,<br />..oh yes...and airguns
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lincolnshire

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:41 AM

Ah, yes. 2.5 x 18 it is.
It's been a long time since I last used square roots. Must update the Abacus.
David
smile.gif

#7 eaj

eaj
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the information I have a couple of these style of scopes, so i will have to put them on a gun and use them. The other thing was has anyone any idea of the age I would have thought 70's as aguess.
Cheers all
Regards
Eric

#8 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have before me my (well thumbed) 1958 Parker-Hale catalog. They are advertising Pecar "3x36" telescopic sights. The specification states: power..3x; diameter of object glass ..19.5mm; tube ..7/8in or 22mm; overall length.. 10 1/2 in; 1/3 minute click adjustment; field of view..35ft @ 100yds; eye relief..1 1/2 in; weight 6 3/4 oz

PRICE was 11.10s.0d.

Do you want me to order a couple?

Hope this helps,
Regards, Shinny.

#9 eaj

eaj
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi thanks for the info I dont think they will still be in stock.
Just going into the garden to zero on a ratcatcher think the scope can handle the recoil.
Cheers and thanks for the help
Regards
Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users