AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pellet Sizing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bmwmpb

bmwmpb
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Target Shooting, Reloading, Autocross, Reading, Music
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Greenville, South Carolina

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a tool that sizes pellet diameter for consistancy? I am rather new to air guns and am looking for information. It seems that consistant size would help accuracy but I can't find much info. Bullet diameter is a crucially important perameter when reloading gunpowder cartridges so I would think that it would at least affect pellet accuracy. I can't find tools on the major sites nor discussion on forums. I'm assuming that if it helped significantly there would be tools and discussion on technique and success. Does sizing not make much of a difference or is too much trouble for the results gained. Any feedback on the subject?

#2 rapidboy1

rapidboy1
  • Member.
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

That's a set of .177 pellet sizers on the right of this pic.

#3 bmwmpb

bmwmpb
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Target Shooting, Reloading, Autocross, Reading, Music
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Greenville, South Carolina

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Can I assume that the three diffent (dies?) size the pellets to three differnt OD's? Is sizing effective? How do you determine what OD's you want to size to? It must be diffent for each gun. Thanks in advance.

#4 Jon

Jon
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:02 PM

Quite correct Bmw its a case of trial and error.
If using JSB derivatives, in 12 years i have only come across two different batches that measure above 4.48 regardless of whats printed on tin.

#5 Crater

Crater
  • 10 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Gloucestershire

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:02 AM

FYI TR Robb of Benfleet make pellet sizers, and a device to insert pellets into the breech by exactly the same amount each load. Can't comment on their effectiveness though

#6 Pied1946

Pied1946
  • 1 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Artesia,NM

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

bmwmpb: Had a Beeman Pell Sizer that you can sometimes find for sell on the 54 Network Yellow Forum. At the time I had a Feinwerkbau 300S
that was an already accurate rifle even better with plain old Daisy Silver Streak wadcutter style pellets. I've even seen on occassion variations on
this pell sizer that had return springs for the forcing ram and mounted on a stand that allowed the pellets to drop into a container with foam in it.
Some of the ole school gunners even went to the trouble of weighing batchs of pellet into groups. All of these refinements in match conditions can
make the difference between walking away with the gold. But also starting with higher quality pellets would have been helpful in my case. And my
only competition was myself. But I had to sell this fine piece of equipment, also the FWB-300S after the wife had an operation and didn't have a
job with sick leave. You can't eat the darn things. Plus try refining your artillary hold, your breath control and your trigger squeeze first; before
going into the time consuming task of pellet sizing. Good luck with your endeavors in finding more accuracy. Shoot Straight, Shoot Safe and Shoot
Often. thumb.gif

#7 tigger

tigger
  • 2,557 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(Crater @ Wed Sep 7 2011, 08:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI TR Robb of Benfleet make pellet sizers, and a device to insert pellets into the breech by exactly the same amount each load. Can't comment on their effectiveness though

I've got one of these they'll only reduce the size of a standard pellet, that said they can improve groups slightly. mine is generally redundant these days due to a far wider choice of quality ammo, I got mine for sizing old style 5.6mm Eley Wasps for use in my German springers, but as mentioned good quality "metric sized" roundhead pellets are widely available these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users