AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Looking for advice for disabled child

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shootersdad

shootersdad
  • 13 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Gloucestershire

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi - I am a newbie - so hi and thanks for having me

I have a 10 year old child who has a disability which causes severe muscle weakness - he is a full time wheelchair user and doesnt have very strong arms

He is really interested in getting involved in target shooting and I would really like some advice as to how to get started.

A good budget lightweight pistol with a light trigger

A link to a good club - I am in Gloucestershire

any other information that you think may be of use

thanks in advance thumb.gif

Edited by shootersdad, 30 March 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#2 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,475 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

I can't really think of which pistol to suggest, as I don't have experience of all of 'em, but something to think about would be something fixed to his chair to form a little platform, giving him somewhere to rest his wrist, at a height where he can sight onto the target. Just a thought.

Cheers. DaveL

#3 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,476 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

Unfortunately I think you may have to pay out quite a bit of money for a suitable pistol.

A precharged gun of some sort would probably be the best bet, either CO2 or Air. Pistols can also be surprisingly heavy but perhaps something like the Rohm Twinmaster Action may well be a contender.

http://www.wighillpa...ory.asp?cat=279

What you must do is let your son try to handle anything you consider buying.

I hope you manage to get something sorted, we need youngsters getting into the sport.

ATB
Ray.

#4 shootersdad

shootersdad
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the reply Yes I think it is likely that I will have to do some adaptions to his chair - before I go ahead however I want to find a pistol and somewhere to shoot it, so that we can make sure it is all good before making changes to his chair,

#5 Rutty

Rutty
  • 78 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Midlands

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

Shootersdad,

You would be much better off with starting him on rifle which he would be able to shoot from a spring stand. As for a club, contact the National Smallbore Rifle Association who should be able to put you in touch with a club that has good wheelchair access. Pistol is not impossible with low arm strength but the "fixes" are more difficult.

Rutty

#6 shootersdad

shootersdad
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(Rutty @ Fri Apr 1 2011, 11:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shootersdad,

You would be much better off with starting him on rifle which he would be able to shoot from a spring stand. As for a club, contact the National Smallbore Rifle Association who should be able to put you in touch with a club that has good wheelchair access. Pistol is not impossible with low arm strength but the "fixes" are more difficult.

Rutty

Yes I have emailed them - unfortunately I have not had a reply yet = hopefully soon - sorry to be stupid bit what do you mean by "fixes"

scratch that I have just phoned them and got the name of some really useful contacts - hopefully i can make things start to happen for him now

Edited by shootersdad, 01 April 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#7 Rutty

Rutty
  • 78 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Midlands

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

what do you mean by "fixes"

No problem, the NSRA policy is one of providing a level playing field for all participants regardless of any disability. The procedure is quite straightforward:

From the NSRA Rules:
4 SHOOTERS WITH PHYSICAL HANDICAPS

4.1 A shooter who because of physical handicap cannot fire from one or more of the prescribed shooting positions outlined in these rules, or who must use special equipment when firing, may apply to the Referees Committee for permission to assume a special position or to use modified equipment, or both. The application will be in the
form of a written request from the person concerned to the Committee outlining in detail the reasons why the
special position must be assumed or the special equipment must be used. The application will be accompanied
by pictures of the shooter in the position he desires approved and if special equipment is required, the picture
will show how the equipment is used. The application and all pictures must be furnished in duplicate.

4.2 The Committee will review each application and may require additional or supplementary statements or
pictures. If approved a special authorisation certificate will be issued, subject to any restrictions that the
Committee may decide. Such certificates will have the relevant pictures attached. In the event of the
Committee having doubt as to whether the issue of a certificate would give undue advantage over other
shooters, the Committee will seek advice from other experts.

4.3 The grant of an authorisation certificate does not depend on the assessment of disability by an organisation for disabled people approved for that purpose by the NSRA. However, if the disability is of a type recognised in
the shooting rules of an approved organisation, the shooter will normally be authorised by that organisation
and required to shoot in accordance with the technical rules of the International Shooting Committee for the
Disabled of the International Paralympic Committee (ISCD).

A club instructor or coach would be able to advise and help with this.

Now by the sound of it your son would be fall into the SH2 class under ISCD Rules:
12.3.3 Specifications class SH 2:

Rifle competitors who have measurable and /or visible permanent disability in upper limbs and therefore are unable to support the weight of a rifle for the purpose of the competitions with their upper limbs and require a shooting stand.

The stand referred to has a spring that allows movement but a the same time supports the weight of the rifle.

Now the issue with air pistol is that there is no SH2 category as it is judged that it is too difficult to establish whether at support stand might constitute unfair advantage.

Find a club with knowledge of disabled shooting and take it from there. He's probably left it a bit late for the 2012 Paralympics and might still be a bit too young on 2016. But in 2020 he will still only be 19 and have had 9 years to prepare - go for it!

Rutty

#8 shootersdad

shootersdad
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:28 AM

That is brilliant information - thank you very much - we will begin and hope to be ready for 2016 - always fancied Rio! Really helpful thanks once again

#9 daveuk

daveuk
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, rabbiting, Hunter Field Target
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:South Gloucestershire

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:15 PM

Two clubs in your area come to mind.
Glevum, just out of Gloucester, which has an indoor 25yd range and also outdoor ranges, flat access suitable for a wheelchair user.
Old Downs Pursuits, 5 miles from Cirencester. If the owners can be pursuaded to move the zeroing range back into the car park, you would have flat access.
ATB
Dave

#10 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

I am a disabled shooter but live a long way from where you are and mainly do coaching now as I'm very old.

Not only do the NSRA have special rules for disabled shooters, but most county competitions have special rules also but they usually run under the NSRA regulations. I think what one of the previous poster said is very relevant in that you would be better starting off with a rifle
Best,
JJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users