AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Photo

information please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 naterjack

• 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Alicante

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi everybody. My name is Tony, I live in Spain and I have been here for eight years. My cousin also lives here in andalucia and about two or three times a year I go to visit him he had in his possession an old BSA air riffle which I fell in love with every time I visited him I tried to buy it from him but he didnít want to sell it, I pestered him for seven years to sell it to me and he finally gave in last week and he swapped it for a mobile phone. I am now the proud owner of a lovely old BSA riffle. I would like to know a bit more about it; I have investigated on the internet and found what I think it might be. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any further information such as what year it might have been produced. So far as I can tell its a BSA Standard model 2
Calibre 22
Possible made in 1920 Ė 1936
Its an under lever type
There are two holes in the trigger block
And the serial number is S4936
It measures 45in overall
THANK YOU

Attached Files

#2 david9d

• 139 posts
  • Interests:Mending things, Vintage Motorcycles, Model Engineering, Live Steam,<br />..oh yes...and airguns
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lincolnshire

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hi Tony, and welcome to the wonderful forum.
The BSA Standards are great guns, and I share your enthusiasm.

You say that yours is number S4936

According to the Hillier book
S1 - 6000 was for 1919/1920
S49000 was for 1932

From the look of your picture I think that the cocking lever shows the 1932 version with the end button release catch, but the 2 hole trigger block was for the earlier dates. So perhaps yours is from the 1920s.
I'm sure that more knowlegable replies will be her soon, in the meantime , have fun.

David
smile.gif smile.gif

#3 naterjack

• 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hi David. Thanks for the welcome and the information, I think I have started something I am not going to be able to stop, Ill probably end up with a house full of antique BSA riffles. Thanks again and Iím looking forward to hearing from other members.

#4 oneshot

• 284 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello Tony

The Standard is a smashing rifle and is quite powerful too cool.gif

Here's mine (1936 model with etching still only just visible)..

Here's a pellet after I shot it at a garden patio slab..

John smile.gif

#5 naterjack

• 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hi John. What a beautiful gun I am afraid mine is nothing like the condition of yours itís been very much used and abused. I am considering renovating it but I am a bit worried about making a start. I am working on the stock after reading some of the experts suggestions and I am getting on ok with that, but when it comes to mechanical bits I am one of them people who start taking something to bits and usually something springs out of nowhere and I end up not knowing were it goes back. Ive saved your pictures as an incentive for me to give it a go. Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

#6 Lakey

• 137 posts
  • Interests:Collecting pre 1970 air rifles and air pistols, Taxidermy, Walking, Deer Stalking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Poole on the sunny south coast

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi Tony,

Your gun is definitely a 1919/1920 model. The two hole trigger block means that you have a none adjustable trigger pull on your BSA Standard No.2 Bore Rifle. The trigger pull was set at the factory at the time of manufacture. Later they introduced a three hole trigger block, with an adjustable trigger.

For more information look here

Visit My Website

All the best

Lakey

#7 naterjack

• 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info Lakey. It works fine and thereís plenty of places here in Spain to use it once Ive given it a bit of a refurb, just got to get a little bit of courage to take it to bits and do it, I think I should do a bit more reading on this forum before I attempt it though. The gun has been around a long time and I donít want to be the one who ruins it. Thanks again.

#8 naterjack

• 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

By the way great web site Lakey....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users