AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

information please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 naterjack

naterjack
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Alicante

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hi everybody. My name is Tony, I live in Spain and I have been here for eight years. My cousin also lives here in andalucia and about two or three times a year I go to visit him he had in his possession an old BSA air riffle which I fell in love with every time I visited him I tried to buy it from him but he didnít want to sell it, I pestered him for seven years to sell it to me and he finally gave in last week and he swapped it for a mobile phone. I am now the proud owner of a lovely old BSA riffle. I would like to know a bit more about it; I have investigated on the internet and found what I think it might be. I would really appreciate it if you could give me any further information such as what year it might have been produced. So far as I can tell its a BSA Standard model 2
Calibre 22
Possible made in 1920 Ė 1936
Its an under lever type
There are two holes in the trigger block
And the serial number is S4936
It measures 45in overall
THANK YOU

Attached Files

#2 david9d

david9d
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Mending things, Vintage Motorcycles, Model Engineering, Live Steam,<br />..oh yes...and airguns
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Lincolnshire

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hi Tony, and welcome to the wonderful forum.
The BSA Standards are great guns, and I share your enthusiasm.

You say that yours is number S4936

According to the Hillier book
S1 - 6000 was for 1919/1920
S49000 was for 1932

From the look of your picture I think that the cocking lever shows the 1932 version with the end button release catch, but the 2 hole trigger block was for the earlier dates. So perhaps yours is from the 1920s.
I'm sure that more knowlegable replies will be her soon, in the meantime , have fun.

David
smile.gif smile.gif

#3 naterjack

naterjack
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hi David. Thanks for the welcome and the information, I think I have started something I am not going to be able to stop, Ill probably end up with a house full of antique BSA riffles. Thanks again and Iím looking forward to hearing from other members.

#4 oneshot

oneshot
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello Tony

The Standard is a smashing rifle and is quite powerful too cool.gif

Here's mine (1936 model with etching still only just visible)..

Here's a pellet after I shot it at a garden patio slab..

John smile.gif

#5 naterjack

naterjack
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hi John. What a beautiful gun I am afraid mine is nothing like the condition of yours itís been very much used and abused. I am considering renovating it but I am a bit worried about making a start. I am working on the stock after reading some of the experts suggestions and I am getting on ok with that, but when it comes to mechanical bits I am one of them people who start taking something to bits and usually something springs out of nowhere and I end up not knowing were it goes back. Ive saved your pictures as an incentive for me to give it a go. Thanks for your reply much appreciated.

#6 Lakey

Lakey
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Collecting pre 1970 air rifles and air pistols, Taxidermy, Walking, Deer Stalking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Poole on the sunny south coast

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi Tony,

Your gun is definitely a 1919/1920 model. The two hole trigger block means that you have a none adjustable trigger pull on your BSA Standard No.2 Bore Rifle. The trigger pull was set at the factory at the time of manufacture. Later they introduced a three hole trigger block, with an adjustable trigger.

For more information look here

Visit My Website

All the best

Lakey

#7 naterjack

naterjack
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for the info Lakey. It works fine and thereís plenty of places here in Spain to use it once Ive given it a bit of a refurb, just got to get a little bit of courage to take it to bits and do it, I think I should do a bit more reading on this forum before I attempt it though. The gun has been around a long time and I donít want to be the one who ruins it. Thanks again.

#8 naterjack

naterjack
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

By the way great web site Lakey....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users