AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Advice regarding the FAS 604

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 k9jri

k9jri
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Indiana

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hello to all on the forum. I am a brand new member to the group and I am located over the pond in the Colonies smile.gif

I am a non competitive target shooter, competing only against some of my good old friends. I am they youngster in the group at age 67. I currently shoot a Hamden, High Standard (.22LR) SuperMatic Trophy (197x vintage) and a Biakal IZH-46M SSP air pistol. I would like to add a second decent quality .177 cal. SSP air pistol to my shooting box. When indoors we shoot 10M and when outside we shoot 25 yards.

I have narrowed my search down to the Italian FAS-604 which is available in two different versions here in the states. The only difference I am aware of is the grips. I would appreciate any conversation on the FAS or a similarly priced quality SSP pistol. I really do not want mess with either CO2 or compressed air.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Mike

#2 k9jri

k9jri
  • 2 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Indiana

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:41 PM

I am really surprised that I have received zero comments. Is the FAS-604 uncommon in this circle of shooters or is it just a poor selection on my part and no one wants to offend me?

If it is a poor selection PLEASE tell me so.

Mike

#3 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,429 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

The silence, in all probability, means that no-one with first hand experience of this pistol has seen your enquiry as yet.My wife had one with the small handgrip and adjustable palm shelf. She seemed to plink quite happily with it and coped with the cocking OK. She stopped shooting due to bursitis and the pistol was sold. Embarrassingly, its seals failed shortly after the sale, but the buyer was competent and sorted it all out for himself.

You might also look at the Weihrauch HW40 and HW70, perhaps sold under the Beeman name in the USA.There's also the Diana (or RWS) recoilless spring pistol. I had one many years back and regret ever selling it, but apart from its having twin opposing springs and pistons and being beautifully recoilless, I can't remember anything much about it.

Pyramid air and AirgunsofArizonal seem to have lots of information and reviews on their websites, so maybe you might be able to pick up the info you'd like from there?

Cheers. DaveL

#4 magicniner

magicniner
  • Member.
  • 407 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Yorkshire

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

You could ask the guys on the UBC Forum,

http://umarexboysclu...m.org/index.php

I know several shooters there have the FAS 604, I was looking for one but ended up with a Pardini Fiocchi P10 instead,
Regards,
Nick

#5 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 941 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

A friend at the bell target club let me try his FAS pistol and it was BRILLIANT!

Dunno if it was a 604 model though.

#6 DUNKS

DUNKS

DUNKS

• 414 posts
  • Interests:Shooting aero modelling photography
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Notts.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

I too am thinking of obtaining a 604 and over the last few days hve been searching the net for information. There is yards and yards of it from shooters and folk supplying spares, even a strip in pictures.
Why is this not available to you? I thought the net was world wide. Or am I mistaken.
Regards Peter.

#7 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I shot with the FAS 604, I also shot the 22 cartridge version plus the Pardini which is mentioned which was absolutely excellent.

My one reflection if I'm correct about the 604, was the actual trigger unit which had a very small grub screw to adjust the trigger and action. A friend and I both wore out one of these as we shot a lot of competitions. It was an absolutely excellent pistol, only overcome by the precharge CO2 and ultimately the pre-charged air versions of other pistols which came into competition which became recoilless.
Enjoy!
JJ smile.gif

It's a long time ago since I shot this in competition, probably 25 to 30 years so I hope I'm being accurate as I'm rapidly approaching the age of 80 but won lots of competitions with this particular pistol

#8 Just Jacques

Just Jacques
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:11 PM

Look at this link

http://bullshooter.b...semi-autos.html

I shot the set 602 603 and 604 excellent pistols

I thought the Pardini was a natural sucessor to this brand

#9 Nichiren

Nichiren
  • 3 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:montreal/quebec

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

Hi I own an FAS 604 match it has been running since my father bought it in the mid 70's and i love it only thing you need to know is to get a spare set of seals for it since they are know for needing replacements.

that said in 40 years i replaced them once when my father gave it to me 5 years ago and no problems since.

it is a heavy pistol compared to some of the newer ones that are out now but i like the solid feel to it not worried about breaking it smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users