AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

early bsa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jonballs

jonballs
  • 205 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence: near eye , norfolk suffolk boarder

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

havent been on much lately ( rather busy)

i`m after a bit of imfo please
i have a bsa stamped bsa air rifle lincon jeffries patent
made by birmingham small arms company
serial no 9645 ( on trigger block and barrel, baynet type underlever with small star on underside and a B in a circle.
p pat 8246/06 on the loading lever cover
14 1/4 behind the pistol grip.
other marks under barrel near body oh and it s .177
on the bottom of the pistol grip and both sides of the stock there is the following , not in line and also to the rear of the right hand side of the stock there is a diamond aprox 3/8 " with the war dept arrow in
link/photo should be attached hear http://img692.images...86/p8231293.jpg what should be on the photo is a pair of triangles with a arrow pointing to each other and x.13 below also in the gaps between the triangles are 2 diamonds with the war dept arrow.

has any one got any idear what these markings are and any history on the guns , i know the same family had them ( also have an early l model) for at least 60 years
any help would be helpfull
cheers
jon

#2 shinny

shinny
  • Member.
  • 958 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:derbyshire

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:47 AM

Serial number 9645 indicates a fourth batch BSA made Nov / Dec 1906, despatched between Nov 1906 and Nov1908.
Patent numbers are the patents applicable to the design.
14 1/4 stamped on stock is the length of pull from trigger to end of butt centre.
After that I'm struggling. I guess the arrow indicates military ownership, as it does not appear on all other rifles of the period. What the triangles and X13 means, I dunno. No doubt somebody who really knows his early BSA's will be along shortly.

I will follow this thread with interest.
atb, Shinny.

#3 mad mike

mad mike
  • 3,230 posts
  • Interests:Real Ale.Airguns.Lusting.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Derbyshire

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

AS mentioned....probably from a military background..nice early example..you lucky so & so.... thefinger2.gif

RE.the "Plinko" on tother forum...they are as you deduced a .177 version of the 600....but worth MUCH more...& Lawrie can service them...they shoot realy well.....hope things are well up Bury way..ATB,Chris.

#4 gedfinn

gedfinn
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:ex university lecturer, metals and welding, i enjoy running, chess drinking, holidays etc etc, being retired since i was 47 i have time to indulge in ALL my hobbies, i build jet engines and make my own airguns,both spring & precharged,i like mainly older guns, and have a collection dating back to the turn of the century, about 45 in total, favourite gun, my bsa cadet major, cheers,

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(mad mike @ Wed Aug 24 2011, 21:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AS mentioned....probably from a military background..nice early example..you lucky so & so.... thefinger2.gif

RE.the "Plinko" on tother forum...they are as you deduced a .177 version of the 600....but worth MUCH more...& Lawrie can service them...they shoot realy well.....hope things are well up Bury way..ATB,Chris.

Hiya mate, I find it intresting that you think the Plinko is worth more than the 600 ?
I have had both, Now I only have this 600, ( With Bulk fill adapter from the States & my air fill ) .22 rifled barrel.
The Plinko is BB & consequently innacurate .

I would love to do a .25 conversion on the 600, But its worth too much , Now that would be a pistol ?
As regards repair, Only one man, Lawrie ,
Cheers Ged.

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users