AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Photo

Opportunity for an indoor pistol range

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Safety Smurf

• 4 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Somerset

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I've been offered the use of my local pubs skittle alley as range for 6mtr and 10mtr pistol shooting (yeah, I know, bit long for a pistol laugh.gif ). I'm keen to take up the offer and start up a club but wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start.

If anyone has any experience of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I start?

It's on the Somerset / Dorest border if anyone's interested

#2 raygun

• Administrators
  • 8,488 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi Safety Smurf,

Welcome to the Forum.

First consideration has to be insurance. Then you would have to set your range up.
There are Postal Pistol Comps (Scottish Pistol being one).

It may pay you to contact mad mike and rich on here as both have experience of using temporary indoor ranges and could possibly help you with suggestions. You can contact them through the PM system.

ATB
Ray.

#3 Safety Smurf

• 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

Cheers Ray,

Considered the postal comps, the UBC do something similar. The issue is more one of somewhere to do the shooting, if I form a club I was thinking it gives something back to the pub.

#4 rich

• Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

NSRA club insurance buys you the cover for one outdoor and one indoor range. We have an outdoor range in about 5 acres of ground, and we rent the local village hall (and skittle alley) for our indoor shooting.

We had to do the usual risk assessments etc and demonstrate to the committee that runs the village hall that we could operate with minimal risk to their property. With their permission we've built a cupboard in the corner of the hall where all of our safety gear and backdrops etc can be stored. The first design of backdrop was effective but cumbersome and needed maybe three men for ten minutes to get set up and put away again. The mark 2 version can be done by one man on his own if needs be and takes little more than 5 minutes.

I guess you are in the Ilminster or Yeovil area; that's about an hour and a half from us. If you wanted to come over and see what we do then let me know. Our next meet is on Friday November 11th. 7pm.

In the main hall we have four lanes of Light Sporting Rifle which is 20 yards standing, and in the skittle alley we shoot pistols to 10m.

#5 Safety Smurf

• 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the invite Rich, I'd love to come along but it would have to be another time, I'm taking my good lady to show that night.

#6 rich

• Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

November 25th

December 9th

December 16th.

smile.gif

#7 Safety Smurf

• 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Just like to say a ver big thank you to Rich and his friends who made us very welcome during our visit. We came away with lots of good ideas and something to aspire to. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

#8 rich

• Member,
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Our pleasure, John.

Don't forget, once you are up and running we'll be ready for a little competition, either shoulder to shoulder or by post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users