AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Daystate cocking problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daystate huntsman

daystate huntsman
  • 6 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Devon

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post (after looking through older posts) to see if I can get some help with a problem cocking a Daystate Huntsman Classic. It works perfectly at room temperature but when outside (cold) it won't "catch". I am presuming this must be to do with trigger adjustment but I have tried backing off as advised by the manual. Will I need to touch any of the other trigger adjustments?

Many thanks,
DH

#2 raygun

raygun
  • Administrators
  • 8,297 posts
  • Interests:Airgunning
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Bolton

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

It certainly sounds like a trigger problem.

You may have to adjust more than one of the three screws.

http://www.daystate....adjustment.html

ATB
Ray.

#3 daystate huntsman

daystate huntsman
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Ray,

I will give it another try tomorrow - I just didn't want to make it worse so I changed as little as possible! It must be quite a small change required as it works fine indoors (room temperature).

DH

#4 daystate huntsman

daystate huntsman
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi,

Just to give some feedback - I have adjusted trigger (seem to have run out of adjustment) and now the rifle cocks(sort of) but I am not confident that it is securely "caught" and now have occasional accidental trigger release.

I'm not sure what else I should now do - could the trigger sear faces be damaged? I have started a seperate thread (although maybe related on why my shots - chrono'd) are inconsistent.

DS

Edited by daystate huntsman, 07 January 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#5 Dodger21

Dodger21
  • 1 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Neston, Cheshire

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Hi

I have seen a similar problem to this, were you could adjust the Ďweightí adjustment but it would make no difference to the trigger pull and also the gun would fire (occasionally) without the trigger being touched and it seemed more likely to happen in colder weather.
It turned out to be an issue with the spring which engages the sears when the gun is cocked, it had been distorted when it was fitted and was not giving enough pressure to engage the sears fully.

I have included a picture of a Daystate Harrier trigger so you can see the spring Iím talking about, this unit is similar but not identical to the Huntsman trigger unit. You can remove the parts by just removing the pins for each part of the assembly, trigger first and the rocker part of the sear, no need to remove the other part and then you can check the springs, be careful not to loose the springs.

Itís not a difficult job but if you donít feel confident about it you will need to take it to a gunsmith.

I hope this is useful to you.

Attached Files

#6 Cliff

Cliff
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:NJ

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Grease? Many lubes will stiffen when cold and that can prevent the cocking mechanism from engaging in some spring guns.

Edited by Cliff, 16 March 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users