AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Photo

HW77 REFURB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigphil

• 9 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:worcestershire

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

What would you all suggest for re-staining an old hw77 beech stock?
I've followed the strip down on here by davel,i think and I managed to re blue the metal work to a reasonable finish.
I now need to work on the stock.
I've sanded it down to a baby's bum finish and now need to know which route to go down : Stain and varnish or oil etc?
I also managed to break a piece off when unscrewing the end cap so is it worth ordering parts from online or shall i trust my local shop to order for me?
What power can be expected from these old guns( i estimate it at least 30 years old).
The current ox spring was still a git to compress but i dont know what lube to grease the working parts with?
Thanks for reading,

Phil. dunno.gif dunno.gif

#2 rikthornton

• 57 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Wire wool to finish, very fine grade - damp the stock to raise the grain then more rubbing. Then I'd use an oil, for preferance - I just prefer the satin finish from oils, plus it's easily refinished if scratched.

If I recall correctly, the OX mainsprings (when purchased in kit form) had a multitude of lubes for various areas - I am pretty certain a molybdenum lube was specified for the mainspring areas... Power-wise, if the spring was in good order there is no reason not to expect it to give a figure close to the original levels - I'd order any parts myself, but thats just me...

Hope this helps

Edited by rikthornton, 21 January 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#3 fenman

• 337 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Get rid of the ox spring

bar sells a F1 spring also get new piston seal

Birchwood casey sells stains tru oil ect

and these

http://www.avalon-gu...info_18377.html

#4 LongRangeSniper

• 130 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Dorset

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hiya mate.
I used oil on my Hw100 walnut stock and got a good result so thought I would use the same mixture(Linsead oil mixed with Alkanet root) on my s410 Beech stock.It ended up with me stripping it all down and starting again.
I ended up staining the stock with Indian Rosewood stain then used Birchwood Casey True Oil.Have a look at my thread (Air Arms s410) in this section.I have added photographs.

#5 bigphil

• 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Cheers mate I'll take a look!
Maybe some long nights in are needed soon!
Phil.

#6 bigphil

• 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

As i dont own a chrono i plan to take it in to my local shop and have them test it. They've told me that when tested,if it is over 12lbs they will have to detune it before giving it back and charge me for the privelige of doing so. The lad that works there though said he could have a fire of it and know roughly what it is putting out. Does this make sense?
Also after much web trawling im not sure as to what spring assembly to use,if any after he tests it,to replace the old ox spring?
ox,oxa,titan or venom kit?
Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers
Phil.

#7 fenman

• 337 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(bigphil @ Tue Jan 24 2012, 11:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As i dont own a chrono i plan to take it in to my local shop and have them test it. They've told me that when tested,if it is over 12lbs they will have to detune it before giving it back and charge me for the privelige of doing so. The lad that works there though said he could have a fire of it and know roughly what it is putting out. Does this make sense?
Also after much web trawling im not sure as to what spring assembly to use,if any after he tests it,to replace the old ox spring?
ox,oxa,titan or venom kit?
Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers
Phil.

For my money I have put in V-mach kits in 77 & 97s, put the first one in 2006 its still giving out a steady FPS.

Now have 77 & two 97 one TX200 all with V-mach kits

You pays your money then its up to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users