AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

To Steyr or not to Steyr?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

The wife is getting to like FT and wishes she had started earlier . tried her with all my old rifle's and although she likes some of em . they are a little heavy . so this saturday she is gonna try a steyr . now i am not a great fan of the steyr , cos i do not think they are a quality rifle . look good , shoot good BUT . so we will see tomorrow how she get's on down the club ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

#2 Piemanlarger

Piemanlarger

Awesime

• 1,537 posts
  • Interests:Ft
    Railways
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:W.Glamorgan

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

Not knowing the good mrs.holls, has she tried an mpr for size. Saw the popular wood (blonde) light weight stock version the other day.

very light ?? apart from the short back end of the stock for a chap my size.

super rifle for the money?

she might even win back your 10 in the Gp season with such a weapon??

#3 pokeandhope

pokeandhope
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Holly ,how about a junior shutz ?

#4 Guest_Doc_*

Guest_Doc_*

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Always knew you wanted to get your hands on a steyr.

#5 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(Doc @ Sat Feb 18 2012, 18:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Always knew you wanted to get your hands on a steyr.

I would like to get my hands on your neck dave ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

#6 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well the deed is done . a LG110 now belongs to the wife . bob dickinson whose rifle it was always has good kit . so although there were others i could have bought , i wanted to try bobs . he does some of the best woodwork you can get . mind you he has arms like a gorilla so the reach to pull is a bit long at 15 and a half inches . we turned up at springfield early so i could see how the rifle shot before the wife had a go . i only had some old air arms pellets with me in 4.52 these are not as good as the later ones by a long chalk . still i thought i would try them to see . strong wind out today and blustery , so not the best conditions . hard to get a group and the pellets were going up and down from the group by half an inch or so , not good . so bob got out his tin of pellets , stolen from calpin he said ( excellent ) whoa ho , now that was much better straight away . shot some of bobs cleaning pellets through and tried hard for a good group . now that was MUCH better . at 47 yards on our zero range in a good 15 to 20 mile an hour wind quartering in from the right at 780 fps with 4.52 air arms ( black tin ) an inch to the right of the kill i got 5 shots all touching ( off the bench ) . happy with that i paid over my wedge and the deal was done .part of the deal was the scope that was on the rifle . a 18+40 lupe EFR in silver . now i am not a in favour of these scope normally . but bob has won more prizes with this scope than i have had hot dinners . when you look through it you can see why . superb ret ( custom jobbie ) from premier ret . normally on 40 mag they are dark . but not this one . i was gonna sell it to a venom owner , as a spring gun scope it would be perfect . probably the only scope that i would use on a springer over a busnell elite 8+32 and in silver it looks great . but it's too good for them , so sod em . bob is gonna shorten the stock for the wife and we might need a small lifter under it , we will see . will report back ??? HOLLY
PS thanks for all the advice . smile.gif thumb.gif

#7 Siy-co

Siy-co
  • 967 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Its for Holly really..............

#8 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Siy-co @ Sat Feb 18 2012, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will say sy-co .the steyr would suit you ? it is a poke and hope rifle . yeah your style ??? HOLLY smile.gif cool.gif thumb.gif

#9 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Well this saturday i will see how the steyr performs when it is not windy . i have cleaned the barrel , fitted a level bubble , raised the scope up on lifters to get a better head position . now i hope to zero it properly and work out what can be used on the ret . it is a premier ret done for bob , the last owner . it was set up for 7.9 prems . i use 8.4s air arms . so i have to see how many of the lines can be made to work properly . plus work out the 50 foot adapter settings . for those who have never used a 18+40 lupe . it goes down to about 25 yards on 40 mag . then the 50 foot adapter takes over . i really cannot remember how far they go down to on the adapter . will find out sat afternoon . last but not least do a diagram of the lines and what they correspond to . which will then be made to fit the end of the flip up so as they can be easily read . just like the good old days ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

#10 Guest_Doc_*

Guest_Doc_*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

Will your wife ever be able to prise this out of your grubby mitts.

#11 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(Doc @ Thu Feb 23 2012, 20:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will your wife ever be able to prise this out of your grubby mitts.

Dave . They are a nice looking rifle , that shoots very well . but they cannot touch a good shutz as you found out sunday ??? HOLLY smile.gif cool.gif thumb.gif

#12 Siy-co

Siy-co
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE(Siy-co @ Sat Feb 18 2012, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fighting talk for the last WL at KW eh!!!!!

#13 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(Siy-co @ Fri Feb 24 2012, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fighting talk for the last WL at KW eh!!!!!

It's Big Boy Time at KW Simon ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

#14 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Young craig with his brand new steyr . reckons he has the mean grouping machine . we will have to see sunday . five shot group off the bench , 50 yards . easy peasy . loser makes the tea ??? HOLLY
PS i reckon it will be dave or stan making the tea ?

#15 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 1,189 posts
  • Interests:Shooting,Fishing,and my family
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:essex

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(holly @ Fri Feb 24 2012, 21:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Young craig with his brand new steyr . reckons he has the mean grouping machine . we will have to see sunday . five shot group off the bench , 50 yards . easy peasy . loser makes the tea ??? HOLLY
PS i reckon it will be dave or stan making the tea ?

My old nail with those black tin AA's is pellet on pellet off the bench. The hole doesn't get any bigger than the first pellet hole,even after a full tin of pellets ohmy.gif

#16 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(springboy @ Sat Feb 25 2012, 11:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My old nail with those black tin AA's is pellet on pellet off the bench. The hole doesn't get any bigger than the first pellet hole,even after a full tin of pellets ohmy.gif

we will see stan , we will see ??? HOLLY

#17 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Tried the steyr out this afternoon . nice rifle .the power was a little low at 764 . turned it up to 780 fps with 8.4s and set to , to get some settings . easily done , from 35 yards to 55 in three lines on the ret . crosshairs =35 . half line down =40 . two line's down =45 .two and a half line's down =50 . three lines down =55 . simple like sy-co . checked it out on some long uns on the zero range , good as gold . took a cheeky shot at one of grandads paper targets at 50 yards .the centre dot was about the size of a 22 pellet . it went straight through the middle of it . so we are ready to kick ass ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

#18 PaulD

PaulD

PaulD

• 777 posts
  • Interests:Field Target, Air Rifles, Classic motorcycles and just starting out on digital photography after years om 35mm
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:north west uk/Warrington

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(holly @ Sat Feb 25 2012, 18:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tried the steyr out this afternoon . nice rifle .the power was a little low at 764 . turned it up to 780 fps with 8.4s and set to , to get some settings . easily done , from 35 yards to 55 in three lines on the ret . crosshairs =35 . half line down =40 . two line's down =45 .two and a half line's down =50 . three lines down =55 . simple like sy-co . checked it out on some long uns on the zero range , good as gold . took a cheeky shot at one of grandads paper targets at 50 yards .the centre dot was about the size of a 22 pellet . it went straight through the middle of it . so we are ready to kick ass ??? HOLLY smile.gif thumb.gif

Hang on, whats this "we" buisiness? i thought you said the Steyr was for Mrs Holly unsure.gif

#19 Tackleberry

Tackleberry
  • 703 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Petersfield, Hampshire. ENGLAND.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(PaulD @ Sat Feb 25 2012, 19:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hang on, whats this "we" buisiness? i thought you said the Steyr was for Mrs Holly unsure.gif

AT last the truth is out there for all to see. the Steyr WAS FOR Holly after all. ohmy.gif

Al.

#20 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Gents . this is the royal WEE . though i have to say it might be the way forward for ALEX . yes you could join pauld and the poke and hope quick fix boys . ORRRRRR you could get a shutz and join the WINNERS ??? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ??? HOLLY smile.gif cool.gif thumb.gif

Edited by holly, 25 February 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#21 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

Interesting today at the club . i can now see why Steyr owners are always messing with their rifles . they have very good accuracy , to the point where you become so picky , that it turns into paranoia and nothing satisfy's you . wheras i would have been happy with the shutzs groups at half an inch at 50 yards and been working on my windage . i was still fiddling with the zero trying to get every thing touching at 50 with the steyr . in the end doc gave me some mozzies and they actually were better than the air arms in 8.4 .so it all came to nothing in the end , smile.gif cool.gif as it all has to be done again . ah well ??? HOLLY

#22 kilty

kilty
  • 1,060 posts
  • Interests:Computing and Air Gunning

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Holly
You're tooooo old to be doing this.................
Either accept that you WANT to be a Steyr shooter and bin the Shutz or give the -covered in gore- gun to Christina ? Mrs Holly!!!

If you want Mozzies or Exact Express then I have a sleeve or 3 of both that you can try!

It is sooooo funny seeing Holly shooting a Steyr. We have banned photos at Springfield until he gets it sorted.

Winter league at Kent Woodsmen next Sunday. Any bets on what Holly will be shooting? we'll see smile.gif

#23 Guest_Doc_*

Guest_Doc_*

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

I hear steyr have been in touch with holly, and offerd him money NOT to shoot there gun.

#24 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

gents , i will tell you in all honesty . get a shutz . it is so easy to shoot . it makes even a worn out old git like me look good ( fairly good ) . easy to look after as well . nothing to do to a welham sorted one . just shoot the blooming thing . you are making a rod for your own backs . give one a try . BUT not mine ??? HOLLY smile.gif ohmy.gif thumb.gif

#25 Tackleberry

Tackleberry
  • 703 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Petersfield, Hampshire. ENGLAND.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE(holly @ Sat Feb 25 2012, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gents . this is the royal WEE . though i have to say it might be the way forward for ALEX . yes you could join pauld and the poke and hope quick fix boys . ORRRRRR you could get a shutz and join the WINNERS ??? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ??? HOLLY smile.gif cool.gif thumb.gif

As always, CASH IS KING!!!
Can't afford a nice shiney Shutz (and i don't like that Howitzer style barrel finisher!!!) and I would have a Styer, but only one from Bob.

To be honest, I'm still too inconsistant. I'm making ground, but its hard work. Spending large wads of cash, in the vain pretence that it would fix my scores is only fooling one person.

I will see how my EV goes for another season, now that i'm getting used to the Leup (That was worth splashing the cash!!!).

Al.

#26 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 1,189 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(Tackleberry @ Mon Feb 27 2012, 08:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As always, CASH IS KING!!!
Can't afford a nice shiney Shutz (and i don't like that Howitzer style barrel finisher!!!) and I would have a Styer, but only one from Bob.

To be honest, I'm still too inconsistant. I'm making ground, but its hard work. Spending large wads of cash, in the vain pretence that it would fix my scores is only fooling one person.

I will see how my EV goes for another season, now that i'm getting used to the Leup (That was worth splashing the cash!!!).

Al.

Stick with EV.Nothing wrong with them,plenty of people shoot them with great success.

#27 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

You boy's are building your house on a swamp and in the end you will sink ??? HOLLY smile.gif sad.gif thumb.gif

#28 Siy-co

Siy-co
  • 967 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(holly @ Mon Feb 27 2012, 17:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You boy's are building your house on a swamp and in the end you will sink ??? HOLLY smile.gif sad.gif thumb.gif

confucs........ confuk.......... confusous ......... Confucius has spoken

#29 holly

holly

holly

• 10,897 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(Siy-co @ Mon Feb 27 2012, 18:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
confucs........ confuk.......... confusous ......... Confucius has spoken

For what a good shutz costs . why not give one try . you can sell it for the same money afterwards if not happy ? the lad i sold the shutz to from fenlands is now i believe leading their winter league . berni has got one , craigs old one . shoots well and reliable . you know it makes sense and it will shut me up ( for a while ) ??? HOLLY

#30 springboy

springboy

FT Extraudinair

• 1,189 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

I've noticed how you've managed to sway the conversation from you finally owning a Steyr and trying to pass it off as the wifes. thefinger2.gif abiggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users