AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

2 years with the Falcon T50

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Hillclimb and Sprint racing<br />F1<br />Motorsports in general<br />Engineering<br />Fishing<br />Fiddling with old springers(air rifles that is not dogs)

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

It's been two years since taking delivery of the current T50B test scope, so where are we?

Mechanically-
The turrets are still working fine with no slip despite being reset for different temps and ammo several times, the clicks feeling as positive today as they did when I recieved it.
The sidewheel has not developed any backlash or wobble, neither has the zoom ring.
It holds zero , all through its zoom and parralax movement and has been tried on a springer too.

Temperature-
The T50 is on my HW100S and is used primarily for the winter season, it was set up in -1 deg C temps and has not been reset since, there is a temp shift around 14deg C mark, where it then under ranges by approx 2.5 yds, but as I use it in the cold I have seen no issues and it comes in on the marks same as when I set it up.

optics-
I have had two instances of whiteout, both at Tondu when the winter sun was behind the high targets, I could hardy see anything at all, but, neither could the guys shooting with me and we had quite a variation of scopes between us, so I suppose it's par the course unless your paying for top line March etc.
Have had no issues rangefinding into shadow/ bright light or in the woods at Avon.

in comparison to my Bushnell the optics are neither as bright or sharp ans the 8-32x40 elite, however the T50 is very easy to range with, snapping into focus quickly and leaving little chance of error, this contrasts highly with the Bushnell which fades in slowly and can easily be misranged unless you pay close attention.

likes/dislikes-
Likes-
Easy to rangefind and a consistent performance accross a wide temp range, once shifted at approx 14deg C it holds constant up to 26 deg C (highest temp I have used it in)
easy to rangefind with.
sidewheel whilst nothing fancy has a good area to attach marking tape to inside the knurled edge.
turrets are good, easy to use with gloves, solid clicks and easy to read without squinting in poor light (unlike my Bushnell)

dislikes-
Heavy and that can unbalance the rifle, found this more of an issue since using the bushnell.
when re setting the turrets after zeroing it's fiddly to tighten up the grub screws and keep the turret square, theres a knack to it .
the front flip up pin falls out, this has happened on all the T50's I have tested, so I dont use these flip ups any more on the front, rear one stays put though?

conclusion-
this scope has definatly improved my scores, it's doing the same job as a Diamond for 200+ less and has so far been 100% reliable, in fact the two diamonds I have used as a comparison have fallen short of the T50 in poor lighting conditions, but we all know Diamonds do vary, and having several T50's to test I cannot comment on how T50's may also vary.
All told very good scope for the cash, cant really find any serious flaws in it.

regards
Mike

#2 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'll second that but have not seen or used a production one as yet.

The closest to a production is my current T50C, the silver one. Its what future T50B will be like or better, the rets on glass like the first one i had 25 months ago.

The turret cap issue has been or will be addressed with a centre screw fixing and new chunky English design. Heres the prototype passed off as at 8 months ago.

Not seen any movement with temp on all 6 of the ones i have had, light can play funny things!

White out its quite good far better than old BSA/Niko incarnations new and old, it dont even white out where an S&B PM2 does.
Regarding optics they are quite liveable in my opinion and thats coming off 5 Marchs. I did ask the specific question some time back, due to it being a production scope and not paying March hand built prices the tolerances in setup have a factor like all other scopes out there. In other words theres good and extremely good, no bad ones unlike some other name i could mention having had two scopes and used 10's of others.

Weights a fair bit lighter than latest Niko and does not upset the balance, though understandably feels a fraction top heavy compared with a 730gr March scope pushed 26mm further forward. Cant say the same for the 80 mag though, cant get balance right even though lighter thana T50.

Latest shipments been in two weeks, dealers that have ordered may have the latest production models in stock. In my opinion the price is spot on and fits in a niche, its pointless spending any less. Even those that have decent known and learnt scopes, it would serve no harm in having one as a backup, the build quality is there to command 500.

#3 Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Hillclimb and Sprint racing<br />F1<br />Motorsports in general<br />Engineering<br />Fishing<br />Fiddling with old springers(air rifles that is not dogs)

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Turrets look like a good design Jon, I take it thats your doing?
I paid 480 for my Bushnell which I thought was a good deal, and whilst it fits it's role on my HW77FT (clearance on loading port, weight) it is a scope you have to learn and concentrate with or you can easily misrange, the T50 in comparison has proven to be extremely easy to range with but it's weight unbalances the 77 making standers and high angle shots a pain, so it's been a horses for courses situation for me.
I would prefer to use a T50 on my 77 but the Bushnell is the better choice on that particular rifle, on my HW100S however it's the other way round, I finished the winter seriese on 86% so it's definatly doing the job for me, I can honstly say any misses have been totally down to my failing to read the wind correctly, it never fails to amaze me my misssed shots are always correct for height!
cant see any real alternative to the T50 without paying a lot more?

#4 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

It seems they are very well liked in the US and Thailand.

Very good build for the price, robust, reliable and backed up by a second to none after sales.
I cant think of more than two other producers that offer all above, ones in the US beginning with L.

#5 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 30 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Essex

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

Out of interest, how low can you focus down to? I recently bought one and it wont go lower than 11yds which is pretty respectable but a little annoying as my Falcon Merlin goes down to 7yds at 30x. Otherwise Im pretty impressed with it, although its going to take me a while to get used to the way it focuses in, its not as snappy as the Merlin but still very repeatable. smile.gif

#6 Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

the Current one I am using goes down to 7yds, as have all the others?

#7 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hmm, thats a tad annoying then. Ive spent an age setting the thing up, sending it back and starting again would be a proper PITA.

#8 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Mike thats a prototype though there are minimal changes.

Had a quick look at dusk on two current production ones and they definately comes down below 10 yards, perhaps less. Will have to put them on rails and try them both out if i can find some time.

I have had 6 prototype and advanced builds in 26 months, now have two current build production scopes.
All comments are on these prototypes so far not on actual production units.
There is no time scale for offering silver, ret on glass, titanium, T50C and different reticle, these were things i purely had the chance to test out.

There is a Milirad version due out next month, thats it.

Since first production run the turrets have been changed to a centre screw fitment, a big improvement. thumb.gif
Its undecided whether to offer the above picture design of turret/s as aftermarket or supply one as original fitment in due course.

In short whats out there now, will be the same for the foreseable future.

#9 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Wed Mar 21 2012, 20:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a Milirad version due out next month, thats it.

I emailed Falcon less than a month ago about the possibility of a different reticle and was told that mildot is the only option. If they release one with their MP20 ret I will be bleedin fuming.

Edited by SteveC200, 21 March 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#10 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Just spoken to Uttings and have emailed Falcon. Apparently only the pre-production models range down to 7yds which is rather annoying for a supposedly dedicated FT scope. Production models range down to 10yds. Kind of wish I hadnt bothered with it now.

#11 PaulD

PaulD

PaulD

• 763 posts
  • Interests:Field Target, Air Rifles, Classic motorcycles and just starting out on digital photography after years om 35mm
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:north west uk/Warrington

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

We have one in our club, the guy has had his around six months now. Although ive not used it in anger i would say its nowhere near as good as my Mk3 Nikko. The image quality is poorer and it is very easy to miss range as it doesnt "snap" like the Nikko. Maybe they suffer from being variable in quality? just like the Nikko is?
His will range down below 8yds though.

#12 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

It wouldnt bother me in the slightest if the two i have here only come down to 10 yards, no great shakes live with it.
Hell i even used a scope 16 months ago in the most competitive region in UK that would not focus less than 36 yards to great effect, guess the range. Same with me two old PR Leups 10 and 16 yards, theres ways round it.

#13 holly

holly

holly

• 10,117 posts
  • Interests:FT . archery . walking
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:East london

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(Jon @ Thu Mar 22 2012, 21:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wouldnt bother me in the slightest if the two i have here only come down to 10 yards, no great shakes live with it.
Hell i even used a scope 16 months ago in the most competitive region in UK that would not focus less than 36 yards to great effect, guess the range. Same with me two old PR Leups 10 and 16 yards, theres ways round it.

Jon . then you must be in SEFTA region ??? HOLLY smile.gif cool.gif thumb.gif
PS paul wishes he was ohmy.gif

#14 SteveC200

SteveC200
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(Jon @ Thu Mar 22 2012, 21:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All very true but its disappointing to buy a scope thats designed for FT but is unable to focus at all FT ranges. I shouldnt have to find a work around for it. My Falcon Merlin manages to range down to 7yds at 30x and pre-production T50s reportedly did as well, so my expectation isnt that unreasonable surely?

#15 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have to agree with you there Steve, i did pass comment a few times over 12 months ago on a couple of advanced builds and a prototype.
To get it to come down lower, the gaps will widen and some of the snap will go, so a trade off.

Holly you are tempting me to do what i did last year again. Put one of the T50 on next Friday afternoon in 7mph winds, mark the ranges, zero by best guestimate and just turn up at Newbury.
No i am on about the best shooters in MFTA, even our 35th place would get in any regions top 15 with ease.

#16 SDplinker

SDplinker
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:California

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Jon,

How do these fare on springers, both sub 12fpe and FAC? As others have stated there is really nothing equivalent in this price range and while I like many things about my Bushnell 6-24 I think this would range better.

Thanks,
Casey

#17 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

They are springer/full bore rated Casey.
Quite true the pricing is cock on, no point in spending less to find out youve made a costly mistake, they do everything required plus have a build far above all pre 2008 BSA/Nikos.

#18 SDplinker

SDplinker
  • 5 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:California

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks again Jon - so as far as versions... I should look for one with the top screw turrets, correct? It sounds like any of the other revisions will be a while in coming (etched glass, new turret design) etc?

#19 Jon

Jon
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

I think it was only the first batch may be the second that had the three screws to fix turret.
Last two batches have the centre fixing turrets off another scope model, the only change since first batches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users