AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Important Announcement!

Hi Guys and Merry Xmas.
The forums theme was changed this morning to the Xmas theme, but as normal, I doubt it is showing up.
So a quick fix for this is to scroll to the bottom of the page and look for the Change Theme button, located on the bottom left.
Click that and you will be presented with 2 options, simply select the Xmas theme, if that fails, select the 2.3 sense theme and then reselect the Xmas theme.
J-B

Photo

Airsporter Lube Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blade57

• 11 posts
  • Interests:Shootin'
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Stavely, Alberta Formerly of Manchester

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hi All

Got my Mk III Airsporter stripped down and have ordered a new Mainspring for it.

This is what I found on the piston.

I have soaked the leather seal in Neatsfoot Oil which seems to have made it a lot more pliable. I have also cleaned out all of the old crud out of the piston barrel (?). Any other things that should be done or replaced while I have her stripped down, please don't be shy about shouting up.

My question is what type of lubes to use and wher to apply them.

Thanks in anticipation

DaveD smile.gif

#2 ricky

• 34 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:west midlands

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

i'm no expert with old springers,just getting into them myself but if the leather washers are available i would replace it whilst the gun is stripped, if you want more power out of the old girl there may be a tuning kit you could fit although i know many collectors would say leave it original.
I would polish up the contact areas on the piston, the two ends of the springs and any other contact areas on guides etc

#3 tigger

• 2,557 posts
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Norfolk

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Get some molybdenum disulphide paste and apply sparingly to the contact areas including the underlever assembly there is no better lube for spring guns, a small pot will last a lifetime, Honda molly 60 paste off of the bay, about a tenner. Probably not much point in polishing anything, forty odd years of use will have bedded the parts in nicely, and perhaps the odd drop or two of neetsfoot through the loading tap every thousand rounds to prevent the leather washer drying out again.

Just noticed your location, convert that tenner to Canadian dollars!

Edited by tigger, 18 April 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#4 blade57

• 11 posts
  • Interests:Shootin'
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Stavely, Alberta Formerly of Manchester

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(tigger @ Wed Apr 18 2012, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get some molybdenum disulphide paste and apply sparingly to the contact areas including the underlever assembly there is no better lube for spring guns, a small pot will last a lifetime, Honda molly 60 paste off of the bay, about a tenner. Probably not much point in polishing anything, forty odd years of use will have bedded the parts in nicely, and perhaps the odd drop or two of neetsfoot through the loading tap every thousand rounds to prevent the leather washer drying out again.

Just noticed your location, convert that tenner to Canadian dollars!

That's great, tigger. Just what I was looking for. Off to the local Honda bike shop on Saturday (cheaper than e-bay and quicker). I soaked the washer in Neatsfoot oil so it is nice and pliable now. another guy suggested I use a few drops of something called Abbey SM 50 on the washer prior to the rebuild but that particular product doesn't seem to be available on this side of the pond.

Cheers

DaveD smile.gif

#5 flatrajectory

• 105 posts
  • Interests:motorcycling/photography and of course airguns.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:shropshire

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Incedentaly, That piston is from a mk.2 Airsporter NOT a mk.3 as stated.

Pete.

#6 oneshot

• 284 posts
  • Interests:Shootin', Knives, Bonsai, Watches, and me owld MG Midget!!
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Sheffield, south yorkshire

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(flatrajectory @ Tue May 15 2012, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Incedentaly, That piston is from a mk.2 Airsporter NOT a mk.3 as stated.

Pete.

Hi Pete

From memory, I think that some mk2 actions were fitted to mk3 stocks as a sort of transitional model (until all the of actions were used up thumb.gif )

Cheers, John smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users