AirGunForum uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

Photo

Membership culling policy

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts
  • Interests:Amateur radio, building electronic equipment.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Staffordshire

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:10 PM

Membership of this Forum has always been intended to be an act of participation, of sharing knowledge and experiences, of exploring a common interest that has brought us together as a community.

The Forum is now over two years old an I've noticed quite a lot of early registrations that have never made even a single post.

I can only assume that these were registrations made out of curiosity or that interests have moved on. There are quite probably a number of registrations where passwords were forgotten and so another registration was made.

As we're not gripped by the number of registrations on the board, I propose culling the dead wood. My apologies in advance to anyone who's been a long-term watcher and non-contributor who gets chopped, but the solution is to simply re-register and participate.

I'll be doing the cull fairly soon, by the way, and hope I get it right first time..... ??? ??? ???

Addendum June 2005
The cull policy has now been in use for 18 months and appears to be working well. Membership figures are around the 2k mark and registrations are approaching 7k.

Addendum August 2009
The cull policy was changed a few months ago, and is working as intended. The cull now removes people who have not [b]logged on[b] to the forum for 12 months or more. The cull is now no longer based on whether a member has posted or not. That policy removed members who looked in, but did not contribute (post).

#2 Guest_Rick_*

Guest_Rick_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

makes sense, done that on some forums b4. watchword is "community".

#3 Airgunner

Airgunner
  • 951 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 05:58 PM

Cor! an Airgun Forum Vesectomy, hopt it don't hurt. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#4 Guest_wannabesniper2_*

Guest_wannabesniper2_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 06:36 PM

When you get rid of my 'other' profile make sure you delete the right one. wink.gif thumb.gif

#5 Guest_rambone_*

Guest_rambone_*

Posted 16 December 2003 - 07:25 PM

Dont cull me smile.gif

#6 Guest_Sibear_*

Guest_Sibear_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 10:12 AM

Hey Rambone smile.gif
You are from Fowey!!! I am from Tregony mate.
Get in touch if you lke and we can go and have a shoot together. I have plenty of shooting land with loads of rabbits. Although I expect you do too.
Anyway, just a thought.
All the best mate.
Simon smile.gif

#7 The Green Man

The Green Man
  • Member,
  • 3,510 posts
  • Interests:Travelling, airguns and photography.
  • Region OR County OR State of residence:Tirol

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:08 AM

Ah! a public execution, gather round everyone!

chop, chop, chop!

bump.gif

#8 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Airgunner @ Tue Dec 16 2003, 18:58)
Cor! an Airgun Forum Vesectomy, hopt it don't hurt. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Hehehee, nice one, Barry. biggrin.gif

thumb.gif

#9 Guest_mpk_*

Guest_mpk_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 12:50 PM

Well i don't participate much but i do as much as i can so please don't 'cull' me.

#10 Guest_GreenMachine_*

Guest_GreenMachine_*

Posted 17 December 2003 - 08:24 PM

Ooooer!!
Having been 'chopped' from the other forum, please don't wipe me from here rolleyes2.gif

GM

(I'de have no-one to talk to) wow.gif

#11 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 04:59 PM

The first phase of the cull has been completed.

It has removed those who registered with the BBS over a year ago and have never posted. I felt that the majority of these non-participants would probably have been "passing trade" who tend to register with any BBS they may discover, take a look around and then move on.

There's been nothing done that was individually selective and if someone who still uses the BBS but has never posted has been axed - my apologies - please re-register and feel welcome to participate.

I'll probably whittle numbers down a bit more in due course because, as previously stated, numbers don't impress but participation does.

Perhaps those who haven't posted in the last year or so might be weeded?
Perhaps those who've registered more recently but haven't entered a location or posted could be removed?

Helpful comments/suggestions appreciated.

#12 Guest_Sibear_*

Guest_Sibear_*

Posted 19 December 2003 - 08:12 PM

I think it is a good idea to cull non participants. Considering the number of us on the forum it is always the same handful of people who do the talking.
I for one, would love to hear what everyone elses thoughts and experiances are.
Simon thumb.gif

#13 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:04 PM

Go get 'em, Dave!

Look out all, the axe-man commeth wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

user posted image

#14 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

I'm now looking at trimming off those who haven't posted on here since 31 Dec 2002. There are over 500 registrations in that category.

The downside is that it's likely there will be a few who like to look in, but not post. They would, regrettably, be caught in the cull. Unfortunately, the BBS tools only offer a filter based on posting and registration date and not the last login date.

To get round the problem, all that's needed is for a non-poster to add a post to the forum before 31st January or, if deleted, to simply re-register using the original username.

Apologies to the few grains of wheat who will be culled along with the chaff, but I feel that a tidy-up is warranted.

#15 Guest_Sibear_*

Guest_Sibear_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

It looks like it is working Dave anyway. There seems to have been quite a few posts from people who I haven't seen post before.
Like I said before. It is great to get lots more peoples perspective on things. Hopefully we will get some hot debates.
Simon thumb.gif

#16 Guest_merc_*

Guest_merc_*

Posted 05 January 2004 - 09:59 PM

well ive not been deleted so smile.gif

nothing wrong with a cull now and again,

Matt

#17 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:54 PM

Well, since the proposals have caused such an outcry biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif , I've started removing some of the "chaff", starting with those who've registered, never posted and never put a location in their profile.

It appears that many members don't read what's in their confirmation email and many prospective members don't read what's in red on the registration page.

Ah well, horse to water, etc. baaa.gif

#18 Guest_longrapid_*

Guest_longrapid_*

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:05 AM

NO not me ime to young and beautiful to be killed of cool.gif thefinger2.gif
kevG biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#19 Guest_Sam_*

Guest_Sam_*

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (longrapid @ Sat Jan 17 2004, 02:05)
NO not me ime to young and beautiful to be killed of cool.gif thefinger2.gif
kevG biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

young? beautiful? unsure.gif - You been sending an imposter down to my place to stand in for you? tounge.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#20 Guest_TFC_*

Guest_TFC_*

Posted 20 January 2004 - 01:10 PM

I'm still here, just not posted for ages.... sad.gif

#21 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

If you registered 12 months or more ago and have made a post in the last 12 months you're OK.

If you registered between 7 and 12 months ago and haven't made a post by the time your registration is 12 months old, you'll be removed.

If you registered within the last 7 months and have replaced the <<Enter Location>> in your profile with a valid location, then you are OK for up to 12 months.

If you registered more than 3 months ago, haven't posted and haven't entered a location, then you will be removed.

If you registered recently, posted and ignored the reminder to enter a location then you'll be removed.

I hate the complexity of the above, but the BBS software system was updated 7 months ago and works differently, hence the need for the two systems. Also, 7 months ago, we made the entry of a valid location (just to avoid giving inappropriate advice/comment and making sales easier) a condition of membership, as it seemed to make a lot of sense and would avoid the eternal "where are you?" questions and the "Ah! But I'm in xyz land, so your advice doesn't apply" comments.

wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

#22 Guest_Phil Bulmer_*

Guest_Phil Bulmer_*

Posted 22 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

I'm still here!!!

Phil

smile.gif

#23 Guest_Craig-P_*

Guest_Craig-P_*

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Airgunner @ Tue Dec 16 2003, 17:58)
Cor! an Airgun Forum Vesectomy, hopt it don't hurt. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Tremendous!

Edited by Craig-P, 26 January 2004 - 07:13 PM.

#24 Guest_TiggerC_*

Guest_TiggerC_*

Posted 30 January 2004 - 10:07 AM

Aiee ee e e please don't cull me Dave, I'll post more often, I promise! wow.gif
Regards
Chris.

#25 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 10:01 AM

I've run the cull.

Anyyone who hasn't posted for a year has been removed on the assumption that theirs is a "dead" account.

If anyone has been removed who just likes to "look in", then my sincere apologies. Please re-register and say hello.

Many thanks.

#26 Guest_rednek_*

Guest_rednek_*

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:02 AM

i noticed you ran the cull dave,cos i was culled.
but i have returned,the zombie nek is more powerful and better at typing than ever.
how can you cull those that dont live,ZOMBIE NEK ohmy.gif

#27 Guest_airsniper_*

Guest_airsniper_*

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Airgunner @ Tue Dec 16 2003, 17:58)

Id think of it more as a circumcision - cutting away the bits you dont need wow.gif
Aye Vey ! wacko.gif

#28 Guest_Brock_*

Guest_Brock_*

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:30 AM

Don't you need a special licence from DEFRA for a cull of this magnitude? wink.gif biggrin.gif

#29 DaveL

DaveL

Forum Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

Nope, no DEFRA licence required. If I need one, I'll print it myself LOL.

The first cull run at the end of January removed quite a lot of dead wood and there were very few members who'd been onlookers for a year and never posted who had to re-register.

Flushed with success, I've run the same again and have whittled out a few more presumably defunct "members" who haven't posted in over a year. I'll probably do the same again on a monthly basis.

I'm also removing new registrants who, in a period of 3 months, have neither posted nor entered a location in accordance with membership requirements.

Eventually, this will result in a more realistic member count and should also improve database efficiency.

user posted image

#30 Guest_boggweed_*

Guest_boggweed_*

Posted 04 March 2004 - 06:22 PM

right daves next step is to remove all members who havent posted today dont own a daystate and dont come from the stoke on trent area! LOL its a lonley job dave! biggrin.gif

Edited by boggweed, 04 March 2004 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users